Thread: Error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer

Error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer

I obtain the below message while trying to preview some excel file in MS Excel. I am able to preview word files as of excel. In word I obtain the similar message, apart from it says Word previewer while trying to preview word files. Within windows explorer I am able to preview both by no difficulty.
    "This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer."

I have tried Microsoft Diagnostics multiple but it does not found anything. There are no other issues. With Office 2007 beneath Windows 7, migrated as of VISTA and not been equipped to preview word files within word or excel files inside excel.

Re: Error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer

There might be any issue with the MS office that is installed in your computer and therefore you are facing that problem. Some of the files from it may be missing or corrupted or missing and so it is creating that issue for you. My suggestion to you is to first uninstall the office that is currently installed in your computer and then install it over again. It will create all the new files and may also solve the problem that you are facing with that.

You can do one thing to resolve this problem and see if that helps you or not. First of all open word and click on "windows" button at the top left. After that click on the Word Options and from there click on Add-Ins. Choose "Manage: SMART TAGS". Select GO from there and check the box "Label text with Smart Tags". After that uncheck the option “Person Name (Outlook e-mail recipients). Un-check "Label text with Smart Tags". Finally click on OK. And then close WORD.

I would like to tell you that Microsoft knows this problem but currently there is no ETA for the fix. I asked the same to the Microsoft support and they told that they are working on that to fix the issue. They will release a new update of that which will resolve this problem. Till now there is no fix for that. It is not only you who is facing this problem. I have seen that there are many of the users who are with the same issue. I wish that it will be resolved soon.

To solution for the error by means of the windows preview within Windows 7 (64bit), use the below steps:
    1. From the taskbar on Windows 7 desktop, click windows button.
    2. Go to All Programs > Microsoft Office.
    3. Now, Right Click the Microsoft Office Word 2007.
    4. Choose Properties.
    5. From the Compatibility Tab check checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode intended for "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
    6. Lastly click OK.

The problem of not being able to see Excel files, while the File / Open dialog in Excel is a known issue and our engineering teams are still searching for resources. The problem stems from the fact that Windows 7 file dialog calls back to Excel to generate the preview, but Excel is waiting for the user closes the dialog box before it can respond to the request for Windows.