Thread: Project 2007 summary task duration help please?

Project 2007 summary task duration help please?

I have an assignment that requires me to calculate a project in total hours. How can I get the summary task duration field to add only the assigned hours? Is this even possible? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Project 2007 summary task duration help please?

• From your Windows desktop, click the Start button and then click Run from the Start menu.
    • In the Run dialog, type “regedit” (without the quotes) and then click the OK button.
    • In the Registry Editor window, navigate to the following folder:
      • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\MS Project\Options\View
    • Select the View folder and then click Edit > New > DWORD Value.
    • Enter the name “Show Project Summary” (without the quotes) for the new DWORD and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
    • Double-click the new Show Project Summary DWORD.
    • In the Edit DWORD Value dialog, enter 1 in the Data Value field and then click the OK button.
    • Close the Registry Editor window.
    • Launch Microsoft Project and you should see the Project Summary Task (Row 0) automatically displayed in every new blank project.

thank you for the reply einstein_007, but my problem is not with showing the project summary task. it is with the calculation. for example, i have 2 tasks assigned 2hrs and 1hr respectively. the tasks are on different days with a few days between them. instead of totaling 3 hrs, the task summary totals 43hrs counting the work hours of the days in between. i have tried changing task types but that does nothing. any help available?

Can you try to customize a duration field with as formula [Actual Duration] and as rule for the summary ask "Sum". That will give the right fgure. I discovered something that actual Duration calculation on summary tasks (not only the project summary task!) is erroneous for all files I tried. I did the test in Project 2007 and in 2010 and it isn't any better. I even discovered the "logic" how they calculate it.