Thread: How to Reload Firmware if Zen player isn't being recognized by USB port

How to Reload Firmware if Zen player isn't being recognized by USB port

The problem just occurred last night while trying to load up new firmware for it, the 1.11 went it fine, loading in the next firmware update, the firmware update program locked up my computer and then like an idiot reset the computer. The player was still being recognized, then loading up the Zen explorer, it said the player is not connected unplugged it and reset the computer again, then the MTP device is coming up. Nothing happens with any of the options even tried erasing the firmware to maybe wipe it clean and then try to reload the firmware didn't use the Zen for awhile because i have no time to listen to it and i can't bring it to work. The firmware i had on the player been with came with it when i bought it. Don’t remember what it was. i bought the Zen when they first came out, so i don't think it was an MTP version{don't know why when i plug the device in, it can't find the "MTP Device Files" needed. it's a Zen micro 5gig.

Re: How to Reload Firmware if Zen player isn't being recognized by USB port

I use Windows XP with MediaPlayer 10. I have exactly the same problem with you LoginMan. On my regular PC, it now recognizes it as a Windows Portable Device (as oppose to USB device before when it was working fine.) No matter what I do, the firmware upgrade executable just won't recognize the player. The player also is not recognizing by Media Player even though under System/Device Manager it is recognize as a Zen Micro (under Windows Portable Device/MTP). So it just got stuck in the "Recovery Mode" and I have tried all options including "format disk", "clean disk" etc. On my laptop, it will show up as a new hardware, but Windows XP is uninstalling to find the driver to install it properly. Which means somehow the new firmware 2.0 really screws it up big time. I should have done the "reload firmware" after it got plug in to the USB port first. Now no machine will recognize it properly.

Every time I try reboot, it just reboot it back to the "recovery mode". I think the problem is the Micro is now missing the firmware (since I did a reload firmware but it did not finished the first time I did it.) Now when I try to connect it to my PC, my PC does not recognize it and the firmware upgrade .exe just keep saying device is not connected (thus unable to realod firmware back to Micro.) When my PC recognize it as a MTP device (set up in device manager as a windows portable device automatically), WMP10 does not recognize it even after pressing F5. Again an indication that the firmware is completely missing in the Micro? Is there a way to force XP to recognize it as a USB device instead of MTP device? I have deleted everything relating to Zen Micro in the Windows registry but it still recognize it as a MTP device. Think the only chance I can fix it is I need my PC to "see" the device first.

I'm having the same problem as everyone else is having, however with the exception that I didn't reload any new firmware. There are two things that are going on. First, I'm in recovery mode after having run "format all" per the websites advice (Creative) because I keep getting "Firmware Problems" upon rebooting. Secondly, if I do connect my Zen Micro to my USB cable all that pops up is the MTP Media Player window and it has no options to choose from for "What do you want Windows to do?" inside the box. Usually, it would give me options such as Windows Media Player, and or Rhapsody, which I also have "Rhapsody To Go", and had been working fine up until a few weeks ago. So how do I get out of this recovery mode and how do I get Windows to recognize my Zen Micro? Thanks in advance for any help would be much appreciated.

I have been having a similar, but slightly different, problem. When I went to download onto my Zen Xtra I was unable to do so. I keep getting a message that says my USB Device is Not Recognized. As I trace the problem it says "Unknown Device." When I look further it reads, "No Drivers Installed for this device." After trying to work throught the problem I decided to reload the Creative Installation Software. After doing this I got the same messages above. I then decided to go to the Creative.com on live services and downloaded the driver for the Zen as directed. After downloading the driver and connected the Zen in the USB port, I get the following messages: There was a problem installing this hardware. Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The system cannot find the file specified. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I totally understand the question. Just didn't think it totally through. Gave it for people who still have some kind of working FW. I can't remember quite what you do, but from the "Recovery Mode", select to reload the FW, and then I believe that you activate the FW installation from your computer and it should find your audio player. I can't remember exactly, as my player hasn't ever had a problem (thank goodness!).

Well i tried that too, but i still have the same problem, because the pc doesn’t recognize the player it won’t work not. i connected the player (btw when i start the player its says firmware problems or something) then i get in recovery mode and i tried the reload firmware. Now it says that: erasing firmware, reload it via usb? Yes/no i pressed yes and it’s erased then it says that i must start a firmware update now. So i downloaded a firmware update 1_11_01 but the pc and player don’t connect so it’s useless

Yes same problem here - but if it’s been this long i assume everyone has given up - I would have thought Creative support would be helpful but i notice the company only actually answered once back on the 1st page and was no help at all. i guess that they don't care about us creative Zen users anymore - we are too far out of the loop. It’s too bad really I use to respect this outfit - i even defended it but with no help forthcoming i guess that’s gone too.