Thread: Which one is better from Smart Copy and Snapshot

Which one is better from Smart Copy and Snapshot

Hello friends. Greetings to all. I hope you all are doing well. Well, we have set up an EqualLogic PS6000 and we are running every VMware ESXi hosts which are connected to it. Also, I have installed and configured EqualLogic HIT kit for VMware and I am trying to get the feel of it and in the process exploring it. Now, basivally my query is that, should I make use of smart copy or auto snapshot manager by the means of this tool or else I should go for snapshots that configures in the group manager application. It would be great to know the difference and also the pros and the cons of which. Thanks.

Re: Which one is better from Smart Copy and Snapshot

Hi. I would like to bring to your notice that Auto snapshot manager or the Vmware edition and the PS series group manager give their efforts mutually to supply a complete widespread snapshot answers for your surroundings. You can make use of PS series group manager if you are looking out for crash dependable hardware snapshots. I would also imply you that you use auto snapshot manager or the Vmware edition for file system steady copies of the VM data stores , together with the copies which comprises of a virtual machine memory dump.

Hi. Having a combination of tools to address specific worries is a superb option according to me. Just keep in mind that the main objective is having safety from which you can progress from. So, I would suggest you that you should leverage the two auto snapshot manager jointly. It provides you with the opportunity which enables you to decide what is the optimal way to guard the surroundings. I have expressed my views, however, in the end it solely depends on you with what you want to go .

Hi. I agree to the above post. Making snapshot of a volume inside the group manager does not make any sense. Snaps by means of the group manager are characteristically fine for volumes that do not have any VM's turned on. Smart copies through ASM or VE is significant to protect the condition of VM's. There are no build up types of snaps in this. Also, smart copies by means of ASM or VM are of great importance to servers with guest involved volumes . An application dependable snap shots of the data volumes are made in this case.

Hi. A smart copy in the equal logic sense is a local volume and has some cleverness behind it. When a snapshot reserve is set, by default it will be set to hundred percent. Also, the replica reserves are analogous to the snapshot reserves. When you set it, it will set up a local replication reserve amount. Thus, it makes it sure for storae area network to make an extra ordinary snapshot for all the intentions of replicating.

Hi. According to me, I think that memory dump is not a nice alternative for the usage of IMO. Many giga bytes of memory are vacant in the process. Generally, a snap shot is used to get a file back and not the VM. By saying that I mean that in case there is a snap shot which few days old which was inside memory during the period of time, but now it won’t have any advantage. I hope you get my point.