Thread: VLC Media player cannot play XviD.avi file

VLC Media player cannot play XviD.avi file

Hi friends, I am having a computer running with Mac OSX 10.4.11 operating system. I have got other media players but usually prefer to use VLC player Version 0.9.10).The reason is that it supports most of the video formats that are unsupported by any other media player software. I am having a problem with the VLC player. It is unable to read XviD.avi. When I load any XviD.avi video file, an error message is displayed asking me for windows media player. I installed the MplayerOSXB8r5b but still the problem persists. Please help.

Re: VLC Media player cannot play XviD.avi file

Any video file may fail to open, if the file format is not supported by the media player. More over if the codec of the file is missing or damaged, the player fails to read it. VLC media player is capable of playing videos of different file formats especially the one with .avi extensions. Make sure that the video file is not corrupted and its codec is not missing. If any of the codec is damaged the file becomes unreadable. Try to play different video with the same file format and see if the VLC player reads it.

Make sure that the file that you are trying to play with the VLC media has the proper file format i.e. the might be in different container other than avi and might have been renamed with .avi file extension. It often happens on the file sharing network. Try the file to open with some other tools like virtualdub, avicodec, avipreview, or media player classic. If the VLC media player asks for the missing codec, then download it from the internet.

Check for the Xvid and Dvix codec installed in your system. If they are not installed the then Xvid.avi file will not be read by VLC media player. Check for the latest update available and upgrade the VLC media player. You can also test whether the file is corrupt or not, with the help of XBox Media Center. If the file plays perfectly then there is nothing wrong with the file, the VLC media player needs some codec to be installed.

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I got the latest update for the VLC media player and updated it. I also downloaded the codec and the plugin, after which all the file with avi extension started playing without any error. I uninstalled the VLC media player and reinstalled it prior to download the codec and plugin. Thank you all once again.