Thread: Unusual QuickTime performance after installing Leopard

Unusual QuickTime performance after installing Leopard

At the start I installed Mac OS X Tiger, installed updates and the whole thing was very well. I after that determined to install Leopard. I did a clean setup, no upgrade. Later than installing Leopard I installed all updates Apple presented. After that I installed YouView which is an application that enables smooth YouTube- playback with this type of old crappy hardware by utilizing QuickTime technology or as a minimum it did it with Tiger, but with Leopard the performance is completely dreadful. Similar version of the software that according to the developer is supported below OS X 10.5, I emailed him and he told that it is well-matched and he was astonished regarding the bad performance.

Re: Unusual QuickTime performance after installing Leopard

Decoding of h.264 video, that is what YouTube utilizes while it's not using Flash, is extremely processor-concentrated, and your old 867MHz G4 possibly just can't continue. Even typical definition content from the iTunes Store, for example, necessary a 1GHz G4 minimum and even after that frequently has troubles except the system is very fresh and running not anything else at the similar time and HD just isn't going to work. If you wish to view current video formats, whether h.264 or Flash, it's possibly just time to shift to more current computing hardware.

I don't and didn't have any third party codec’s or anything connected to video or anything else installed while I exposed this trouble. Something is just incorrect with Leopard and this configuration. I examine that Leopard relies greatly on Core Image that Radeon 8500 is not capable to support in hardware and one theory is that Apple just switched something towards Core Image with Leopard which makes things run so crappy with graphics cards that do not sustain Core Image. One alternative could be to obtain a PC -version of for instance GeForce FX 5200 and flash it for this PC as those should be cheap and observe if state is improved. Final option would obviously be to downgrade.

I upgraded my 2001 PowerBook Titanium to OSX 10.5.8 solely because of requires iTunes to sync with my novel iPhone 4. My old 'Book's performance has gone optimistically geriatric but nastiest of all is that QuickTime will no extensive play my iTunes movies or any of my YouTube archive! If I didn't require this annoying sync for the phone I would ditch Leopard and revisit pretty happily to Tiger. Is there something I can perform to resolve the QT trouble?

Tiger would be well for me as well but it does not get security updates and there is some software which needs either straight Leopard or a software needs component which is just obtainable to Leopard, for instance Safari adblock needs extension support which is just obtainable in Safari 5, which in turn needs Leopard. As well while Leopard is the final OS for PPC it would be good to upgrade the whole thing to max. At once, even though Tiger is quicker OS in lots of ways, at least with old G4 and obviously you can guess it by just looking minimum system necessities for operating systems.

You are pretty correct, obviously. "For each three steps forward there is as a minimum one step back", summarizing a few old sage. In the meantime, what's to be done regarding QuickTime not playing old mp4s? I think as though I wish my money back and, I will bet, plenty of others feel the similar way too. There should have been a caution posted by QT that this was a problem and we could after that decides whether to set up the update or not. I am currently playing my old files with third-party software for example Elmedia Player but that's no use in iTunes. I can just wish that QT is, at this very instant, attempting to find a way around this insect.