Thread: Quick Time is not supported in Internet Explorer 9

Quick Time is not supported in Internet Explorer 9

Hi I recently came to know about the news that Internet Explorer 9 is launched. So I upgraded my current version of Internet Explorer 8 to IE9. It is working great with everything but the only issue is while I am playing videos on YouTube. As soon as I click on videos, it shows a question mark over the logo of Quick Time. I suppose those videos are played in the Quick Time. I get this message which says “Additional Software is needed”. I am unable to understand the problem. Does anyone know why this is happening in Internet Explorer 9 and what should I do to solve this problem?

Re: Quick Time is not supported in Internet Explorer 9

You must try doing the basic steps first. You should check whether your antivirus or firewall is blocking Quick Time. Sometimes firewall/antivirus does not allow few programs (in your case Quick Time) to perform thus hampering their performance. Also make sure that you have installed the required codecs in your system to support the files. Reset your Internet Explorer settings and then check, if the problem still exist or not. Make sure that Quick Time add-ons are running in your Internet Explorer 9. You can enable your QuickTime Object (QTPlugins.ocx) going to Tools > Manage Add-ons path. Here you will find all the add-ons installed in your browser. Search for Quick Time and enable it. Once you done with everything just restart your system.

I also faced this problem when I had installed Internet Explorer 9 in my system and after lots of searching about the matter on Internet and disappointment the only solution that seemed to be perfect and working for me was to uninstall the IE 9 from my computer and install back the earlier version of Internet explorer which was working problem free. You can do this by performing system restore and rolling back your system to any restore point when you had IE8 installed in your computer.
    Go to Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > system Restore.
    Select the restore point and press next button and allow the system to perform rest of the work. Restart your system when it is prompted.

If you have got any other internet browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox installed in your system then you should probably check whether you are facing the same problem while playing videos there or not. By doing this you will get to know where the real problem exists. If you are able to play the videos in other browsers with much trouble then there is an issue with your Internet Explorer 9. If the problem exists in all the browsers then probably the problem is with the Quick Time Player installed in your system. You should uninstall the current version of Quick Time Player you have got installed in your system. Download the latest available quick Time from Apple’s official website (as Quick Time is APPLE’s product). Restart you system once you done with the installation and check out whether the problem still exists or not.

For me it is not the browser which is creating problems, but is would be the settings of the quicktime player which is creating this problem. Make sure that you are using the latest version of Quick Time and if not then you should install or upgrade to the latest available. Now follow these instructions:
    1. Start the Quicktime Player.
    2. Go to Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences
    3. Select the “Browser” tab and hit the MIME Settings button.
    4. Under the Video column, make sure that both QuickTime Movie checkboxes are ticked.
    5. Now go to miscellaneous and uncheck the Flash Media option.
    6. Click on OK button.
    7. Now go to the File Types tab
    8. Perform step 4 and 5
    9. Also, under the streaming tab, select automatic and check instant on.

You should check whether the Quick Time plugins are installed or not. You can check it in in the following path: /Library/Internet Plug-ins/QuickTime Plugin. All the Internet Browsers using Plug-ins use this folder to store plug-ins. You should search for the same plug-in file in the USER/Library/Internet Plug-ins folder. If you have got an older version of the file in the above mentioned folders, then delete it and install the latest available one. Make sure the older file is deleted and the newest one is the only one among both stored in /library/Internet Plug-ins folder. Once you are done re-installing the Plug-in you must perform System Restart.

Thank you, friends for your quick posts. Thanks for removing that time from your life and helping some stranger like me by replying so fast. You guys really came as life saver for me. Just because of your help, I was able to solve my problem and was able to get rid of it. This QuickTime was really giving me headache from a long time. Seriously guys, you should continue doing the good work. I am looking forward to your forum for more solutions of my future problems.