Thread: Black Screen & Cursor + 'The instruction at 0x73add9a5 referenced memory' error message

Exclamation Black Screen & Cursor + 'The instruction at 0x73add9a5 referenced memory' error message

Please read all of this before you answer- ive been on google for the last 5 hours looking for a solution but none on there are helping at all.

i have a compaq presario CQ61 Running Vista Home Premium.
    i download torrents ( strictly tv series/movies & songs )
    i was downloading a season of Lie To Me when i left the house this morning, i returned & the laptop had run out of battery. i plugged it in and turned it on. it did nothing. just had a black screen after i logged in, with a cursor
    now, i have tried the ctrl + alt + delete process plenty of times, it will just give me an egg timer cursor & do nothing.
    ive tried command prompt in safe mode- didnt work.
    nothing is working AT ALL.

i just did a diagnostic restart, when it restarted i got an error message
    'explorer.exe - application error

The instruction at 0x73add9a5 referenced memory at 0x73add9a5. the required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x0000185. click ok to terminate the program'

ive googled this error message also but none of the cases seem to be related.
    help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

i am able to wipe the whole computer but id prefer not to lose all my music & photos
    thank you so much in advance

Re: Black Screen & Cursor + 'The instruction at 0x73add9a5 referenced memory' error message

That looks a ram issue in the system. If you know how to open the laptop just remove the rams and fix them back. Your system will work. For your operating system reboot your system and press F8 continuously. If luckily you get the safe mode menu choose safe mode and restore your windows. If nothing work then better you must use a linux cd to boot your system and for backup your data.

Re: Black Screen & Cursor + 'The instruction at 0x73add9a5 referenced memory' error message

how hard is it to fix the RAM? are you saying that i need a new RAM? I dont know much about PC hardware. thank you for your help by the way

Have you tried booting into safe mode? If you can then I would suggest you to perform a check disk from system recovery options. In the command prompt, type chkdsk /rand press Enter. Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Vista boots (restarts).

Note: /r = The /r switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. A bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that cannot hold saved data anymore. If you’ve any data on that sector, you’ll lose that.