Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Outlook Express pops up gives compact message dialogue box

Windows Software

Old 10-04-2011

Outlook Express pops up gives compact message dialogue box

A few days back I found that the AVG security software that was installed in my computer detected 2 Trojan programs and removed them. From then I am getting the message which says "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages". I am getting this dialog box after each 15 - 20 seconds. It is independ of whether Outlook Express is open otherwise not. It doesn't make any difference if I cancel otherwise okay this process. This is very strange. Can you guys please let me know that what is the exact problem and how can I be resolved? Thank you so much in advance.

Old 10-04-2011

Re: Outlook Express pops up gives compact message dialogue box

You can try to reset the compact count that is there in the registry. To do that, you will have to follow the steps that are given below.
  1. First of all, start the registry editor.
  2. After this, you will have to open this where you will get the identity is a string of letters, numbers, and dashes.
  3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
  4. Now put the Compact Check Count value to 0.
  5. Once you are done with this then you will have to close the registry editor.
Old 10-04-2011

If you want to shut down this message then you will have to open Outlook Express and then click on the Tools and select option from there. Now click on the Maintenance tab that is there on the top. See for the checkbox that says ?Compact messages in the background?. This must be there in the section of Cleaning up Messages. Uncheck this checkmark and save the changes. This will solve the problem for you. So just try this and I hope that the issue will be resolved for you.
Old 10-04-2011

I would like to tell you that the Microsoft has taken out the background compaction as of Outlook Express which was there in the Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that is causing many problems. Background compaction is a dissimilar problem as compared to the one you have mentioned here that is "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages." I know that this is not the solution for the issue but I just wanted to share the thing that I know about this. I wish that you will get the resolution for this soon.
Old 10-04-2011

You can try to do the solution that is provided in the first post and see if that is able to solve the problem for you. If that cannot help you then I would like to make sure that the error happens when you start up your computer. If this is the condition then you will have to immobilize the Outlook Express program as of the startup menu through steps given below.
  1. First of all right click on Start button and select Properties from popup menu.
  2. Select Start Menu tab.
  3. Click on "Classic Start Menu" radio button and select Customize button.
  4. Click Remove button.
  5. Click "Outlook Express" and highlight it.
  6. Finally click on remove button.
Old 15-04-2011

smile Re: Outlook Express pops up gives compact message dialogue box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badrunath View Post
You can try to reset the compact count that is there in the registry. To do that, you will have to follow the steps that are given below.
  1. First of all, start the registry editor.
  2. After this, you will have to open this where you will get the identity is a string of letters, numbers, and dashes.
  3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
  4. Now put the Compact Check Count value to 0.
  5. Once you are done with this then you will have to close the registry editor.
this worked. thanks!

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , ,