Thread: Which Linux HTPC Distro I can buy Instead of Windows Media Center Edition

Which Linux HTPC Distro I can buy Instead of Windows Media Center Edition

I ride my first attempt at a HTPC. I3 has an Intel 550, PRO-M P7H55 Asus motherboard, 4GB of DDR3 RAM PC800 (cheap), and a LiteOn Bluray drive. It is in a mATX case with 300W power supply included. I am currently running Win7 Pro on trial this configuration with WMC. My question is whether anyone would recommend a Linux distro that you can use instead of buying a license to another copy of Win7? I know a little (very little) about testing Linux dual boot with Ubuntu, but my sister knows nothing about the operating system. We will use the Netflix system, DVD, Bluray, Pandora, and a slight web surfing. No games, so I will utilize the resident graphics. It would be good to have a system that can load a media center in the beginning, they have Wi-Fi remote control capabilities (both have Android based smart phones), and work well with Windows as I have a team in the same home network ml desktops and laptops.

Re: Which Linux HTPC Distro I can buy Instead of Windows Media Center Edition

I am currently using Windows (head hung in shame), but when I build a new office of the current system will live on a Linux computer running XBMC. You mentioned Android phones; I have a Nexus a HTC I use as a remote control for XBMC. Have an official client written by the developers of XBMC, and I think there are others in the Android Market which will connect to the web interface of XBMC. It’s worked completely for me, and has a utility that can be a linear or remote control to navigate through the library on the phone and press the Play button. Even if the film stops the phone rings.

I'll look into XMBC. If it works with all distros I have my laptop back to dual boot with Ubuntu and play around with it. Netflix is not a turning point, but a sort of online streaming media is a necessity. Plus could be Hulu or Netflix-like service. I have a sister 12 years old and I do not like the idea of buying all those cartoons you see on DVD. One to avoid (rather than learning how to run a virtual machine, the teaching of my friend - I appreciate your honesty) would capture episodes Netflix Win7 on my machine, encoding to a Linux format, then running a network drive the HDPC? Any idea about the complexity of this would be?

If you dual-boot Linux system have today, there is no benefit to XBMC personal allocation - is actually Ubuntu hacked with parts to it is slighter, and that starts by default with the program XBMC - anything is possible with any existing system Linux. XBMC has a very good plug-in system that allows additional functions in the base system, maybe there is one that allows the transmission of an acceptable source?

I have read on sites and try XBMC Live version on my computer here at work. If it looks like it will work I will install next to the operating system on my HTPC when I get home. I'll try to Netflix and Hulu on it and report the results. I will as well seem into MythTV to notice if there is a benefit with respect to the Android remote feature. I am presently utilizing remote Unified, an application that lets the mouse, keyboard, and media remote control options through the Wi-Fi network.

I was back and ran research by downloading Chrome ISO-based Linux operating system. I cannot find a topic where somebody has setup Chrome OS in a HTPC, so I doubt that this is an option. I know that will be utilized mainly for surfing, but there are applications that permit for things like Netflix and Hulu? I think the same based Linux kernel would have the same problems? They offer the ability to run all the storage media or a network stream? I would not lose too much time, so I thought I would ask you, at the risk of being sacrificed for my ignorance, before installing and testing the game.