Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Unable to delete a file from my pictures folder?

Windows Software

Old 06-04-2011

Unable to delete a file from my pictures folder?

Okay so there is a file has been in my pictures folder forever and I am getting sick of seeing it. It is called Connect_dark_small_short. and has no extension (such as .gif or .png; it only has that period at the end)

Here is the file:

Here is what happens when I try to delete it:

I tried deleting it through the command prompt window but that didn't work either:

Anyone have any idea how I should go about getting rid of it?

Old 07-04-2011

Re: Unable to delete a file from my pictures folder?

Have you tried to delete it in safe mode? Or else download a tool called Delete Files Permanently which is a permanent delete files software (file shredder) that securely and permanently delete all unwanted files forever. Delete Files Permanently is fast, flexible and very easy to use file shredder software. You can delete files and folders with one simple click! Just select files or folders you want to delete and press 'Delete permanently' button.
Old 07-04-2011

right click on the file
click properties
if it is Unshared..change that to shared
apply
now try to delete
Old 07-04-2011

I tried the software you gave me and it just gives me an error that states the file was not found. I doubt it would delete in Safe Mode since it has not worked all the other ways. I know that the file has 0 bytes and technically does not exist, but the icon will not disappear no matter what.
Old 07-04-2011

If its a 0 byte file, then I can assume that it might be one of those theme related kind of file related to changing icon or pictures and its folder. I remember, I installed a icon package on my computer to change the looks of the icons and I noticed that similar kind of file existed, so its not an issue to be worried of I suppose.
Old 07-04-2011

I'm not exactly worried about the file, I just wish I could get rid of it.
I doubt it has anything to do with themes because I didn't change my icon themes at any time. I just want it gone because it's annoying to look at.
Old 07-04-2011

Have you tried to take control of the files under Windows 7. Here are two command line syntaxes to instantly take ownership of such files,

For Files:

takeown /f file_name /d y
icacls file_name /grant administrators:F

For Directories (will perform action recursively):

takeown /f directory_name /r /d y
icacls directory_name /grant administrators:F /t

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , ,