Thread: Phone call claiming my system is infected

Phone call claiming my system is infected

I had recently received a phone call where someone claims to be from Microsoft or some other company told me that my system is infected with some infected files I had downloaded from the net and affecting my PC system. My question over here on this forum is does this people who call us like this are genuine or some fake people. It really sounded to me as a fake or scam but there are chances that it can be genuine. How sure are we to check if the person calling us is fraud or genuine as if any need arises at sometime?

Re: Phone call claiming my system is infected

You can check out for eset online scanner that is available online on eset website which is used to detect malware and remove them. You can simply run it by using some web browser and it will remove it after scanning any malware. It is also used to delete or quarantine the files which are infected. By this quarantine files can be restored.

There are some applications which can be run on Firefox web browser which can be used to scan your computer for worms or virus. Check for latest worms like Conficker.B, Conficker.C etc which can be scan by using Firefox. It can also detect the latest virus which is Sality.AM. For this purpose, you will need to delete the files or quarantine it. This might help you in detecting various infected files on to your system. You can simply search for files from the search dialog box over there you just need to type the files. Other filenames of worms or viruses you can get from the internet.

Try downloading Prevx 3.0 which is easily available on the internet and a powerful tool to protect and detect your system from various infected files. Follow the instructions given below to install Prevx 3.0:
    1. Download latest Prevx from their website
    2. After downloading open the file
    3. If it prompt you administrator password then type it and press enter
    4. Do as directed to install the software
    5. Click on Finish
    Now you will need to scan your system by using this software to detect and protect your system.

Before switching to any conclusion I would like to say that Microsoft never calls or send an email to the user directly anytime. If you had given a call to Microsoft support then there might be that they will contact you with the issues related to it. May be the person who had contacted you is a fraud. Special care should be taken to check if he/she Is from Microsoft. Ask him details about your computer system, if he is able to tell you that then they can be genuine or just ignore them. If you want you can contact your local fraud detection team as it will be helpful in identifying them.