Thread: How to install DK Multimedia Children' Encyclopedia on Windows Xp

How to install DK Multimedia Children' Encyclopedia on Windows Xp

Hello guys this is my first post of this forum and so I would expect that I would get some good responses from your side, recently I go this old Multimedia Children' Encyclopedia CD from a library which is for old Windows 95 operating system, since I have got Windows Xp installed on my system, just for a try I installed this Multimedia Children' Encyclopedia on my system and when I tried running it I got a message saying that the sound software is not installed properly or has been disabled. Press Continue or quit. So I would want to know that is there any way so as to get this file to run successfully on my Windows Xp system.

Re: How to install DK Multimedia Children' Encyclopedia on Windows Xp

Dude I don’t think so that there could be any chances as such to make the Windows 95 operating system based file to run on your Windows Xp since there is a major difference between the two and that the new version of the operating system will not even recognize the file that you have installed on your system, so getting a error with such kind of cross platform file is usual and you will not be allowed to run any of those on your current system.

Hey since you are getting an error related to the sound so what I think that there could be some kind of a sound driver problem since the sound driver for the Windows Xp is not compatible with this Windows 95 operating system file. So what I would suggest that just for a try you should try to download the sound driver that is based on the Windows 95 version operating system, install it and then see if you are able to get the file to run smoothly.

Although I haven’t tried it out but I think that you should give it a try so as to run the file by right clicking on it and then selecting the properties and from there you will have to select the compatibility tab and tick the box which says run this program in compatibility mode for and your combo box which is just below I will get enable and you can choose the program that you would want to run compatible for this file, try this out and see if it works or not.

I also feel that this kind of a thing would not be made possible since Windows 95 is pretty old version of the operating system and neither its version file nor any drives will work on the new Windows Xp operating system, so what I would suggest that instead of downgrading your system, why don’t you look for the Multimedia Children' Encyclopedia which is for the Windows Xp platform and you will get to run the file easily after that.