Thread: ERROR "Error Performing Inpage Operation" of Hard Disk..

ERROR "Error Performing Inpage Operation" of Hard Disk..

I am using Windows XP as my operating system. Recently I am facing some strange problem. Whenever I try to open the Hard Drive, a message is popping stating that "Error Performing Inpage Operation". Is this some Virus infection or my OS has been corrupted.?? Please help me to sort out this problem.!!
    I do to dead flowers what people at morgues do to dead people. Suck all the moisture out, dip them in plastic, paint them up pretty and put them in a nice frame.

Re: ERROR "Error Performing Inpage Operation" of Hard Disk..

The Error "Error performing inpage operation" normally gets generated when any data had been removed from RAM to the swap file and is later needed again. Before the process in need of that data can access it, the system loads it again from the swap file into RAM and directs the process to that data. Due to this the error gets generated. There are several causes for this error. Your hardware may be faulty. Hardware refers to the hard disk and RAM. There may be some bad sectors on your hard disk.

I would like to suggest you to use the commands to repair the hard disk..

First press the Start button, then Click on Run. Type cmd and press OK. You will enter into the command window. In that window type chkdsk (which is used for disk check), the following are the parameters
    chkdsk [drive:] /F
    Suppose if you want to check drive D, then use
    chkdsk d: /F
    which will perform the repair.
    Hope this will work for you.

Even I was receiving the same error message before my Hard Disk got crashed. So I suggest you to take the back up of the important files. According to me this error starts coming if there are many bad sectors, clusters, etc on your hard disk. Before doing any trouble shooting for this error take the backups properly, because there are chances of hard drive getting formatted.

I would like to inform that Glenny has given the correct syntax for the check disk. (chkdsk). If you want to repair use the command
    chkdsk [drive:] /r
    chkdsk d: /r

This command will repair your hard disk. The command chkdsk [drive:] /F is used to format and not repair. Once you format you cannot get your data back. So try to repair by using the chkdsk [drive:] /r command.

Quote Originally Posted by Macarenas View Post
    I would like to inform that Glenny has given the correct syntax for the check disk. (chkdsk). If you want to repair use the command
    chkdsk [drive:] /r
    chkdsk d: /r

This command will repair your hard disk. The command chkdsk [drive:] /F is used to format and not repair. Once you format you cannot get your data back. So try to repair by using the chkdsk [drive:] /r command.
    There is no way to format a hard drive with chkdsk. On XP, /f will fix errors on disk and /r will locate bad sectors.

Having said that, I too am having the same error message and chkdsk didn't help.

There can be many reasons for the issue that you are facing at the time. Anyway, you should see this link. They have mentioned some most common cause for this error message. Just go through this and see if it can help you some way. I hope that you will be out of the issue soon.