Thread: Can't open Word by clicking on documents

Can't open Word by clicking on documents

My computer is running the Windows 7. I am having the MS office 2003 installed on my computer but there is some problem with the MS Word. Actually whenever I try to open any of the world documents then it shows me the error message which says "There was a problem sending the command to the program". There is no problem with the Excel 2003. Can you tell me that what is the problem with that and how can this be solved? I have tried all the things from my site but that was not helpful to me. Please help me to resolve the problem.c

Re: Can't open Word by clicking on documents

You can try to modify the File Type Association Directly as of the File Properties. To do that you will have to follow the steps below.
    1. Right click the file by the type that wants to modify its related application program.
    2. Choose Properties from right click context menu.
    3. Click on Change button from the General tab.
    4. You will see the open with window. Select a program to open the type of file as of the list of programs accessible. By default, suggested Programs is mechanically extended. Though, there is additional detected programs within the segment of additional Programs, which can be extended to choose by clicking on Down Arrow at end of separator line.
    5. If program which need to use like the default program does not establish, click Browse to choose an executable file yourself.
    6. Finally click on OK button.

My suggestion to you is to run a System File Checker and that will scan and resolve the problem with the corrupted System files. Just go through the instructions below to do this.
    1. First of all click on the start and click All Programs. From there click Accessories and right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
    2. Click on Continue otherwise supply Administrator credentials if it asks you for that.
    3. From the Command Prompt window, you will have to enter the following and hit Enter: sfc /scannow
    4. After that you will see following messages:
      Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.
      Beginning verification phase of system scan.
      Verification % complete
    5. After completing the scan you will see an onscreen message similar to following:
      …found no integrity violations
      …found corruption but repaired it
      …found corruption that it could not repair
    6. Please respond through the completion message which you received.

There might be some problem with the MS office that is installed in your computer. It might be corrupted and that is the reason that you are getting the problems like this. To fix this problem, you will have to uninstall the currently installed office from your computer and then install that once again. The best way to do that is to install from a fresh copy of setup. I am saying you to do that is because it will avoid the issues, if that is related to the setup copy that you are having.

I had different issues by means of my Word 2000 install on Windows 7 64 bit, with the difficulty of not being capable to open .doc files through double clicking on them. Whenever I try to go that then it shows me the error messages on startup as well as shutdown of Word and the Word icon modified a generic icon on the desktop. I attempted modifying the properties intended for Word either "run as administrator" otherwise giving additional permissions to every users. What lastly worked for me is to uninstall Office 2000 totally, delete folders where it was and after that reinstall it by following way. Browse install CD designed for the setup.exe file, after that right-click on that file, after that select "Run as Administrator." When I installed that in this way then all the things was fine for me.

It can be due to the virus attack on your computer and so you are facing this problem. Do you have any antivirus installed in your computer? If not then my suggestion to you is to install a good one in your computer and then scan the whole computer with that. Before scanning that, you should make sure that you have updated the virus definition of the antivirus and after that only try to scan the system. I home that this will help you.