Thread: PC Wont Let Me Install A Memory Card Driver - HELP!!!

PC Wont Let Me Install A Memory Card Driver - HELP!!!

i got xp sp3. and i cant install a memory card reader driver in my laptop. when i try to install it, i get this error:

the wizard was interrupted before texas instruments pcixx21/x515 drivers could be completely installed. the system has not been modified. to install this program at a later date, run the installation again.

i need to install this driver. how do i install it? is it possible that i need to enable certain services to get this driver installed?

Re: PC Wont Let Me Install A Memory Card Driver - HELP!!!

What is the make/model of the memory card reader that you are trying to install in your pc? And also can you tell us the make or model of your laptop as well, which operating system is installed in your pc and is it a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS? Because in a 32 bit OS you cant install 64 bit drivers of the memory card but it is reversible in 64 bit OS. Was the memory card reader working fine before in your pc? Have you used any registry cleaner software in your pc, which might have corrupted the registry settings of the memory card reader ?

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    What is the make/model of the memory card reader that you are trying to install in your pc? And also can you tell us the make or model of your laptop as well, which operating system is installed in your pc and is it a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS? Because in a 32 bit OS you cant install 64 bit drivers of the memory card but it is reversible in 64 bit OS. Was the memory card reader working fine before in your pc? Have you used any registry cleaner software in your pc, which might have corrupted the registry settings of the memory card reader ?
    my laptop is gateway m210. i got xp pro sp3 32 bit. and i dont understand by what you mean by make and model of the card reader. i got the card reader driver from gateway. the card reader is internal. and the above is the error i get when i try to install the driver. also, i did use a registry cleaner before. but i'm not sure if this is exactly the culprit. i'd appreciate it if you can let me know what to do next.. thanks.

So, you used a Registry Cleaner in your pc, that is the culprit so far from what I can tell which might have corrupted your registry settings in your pc. Hence you will need to do a repair installation of Windows XP. Perform a Repair Installation by following the below suggestions:

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    So, you used a Registry Cleaner in your pc, that is the culprit so far from what I can tell which might have corrupted your registry settings in your pc. Hence you will need to do a repair installation of Windows XP. Perform a Repair Installation by following the below suggestions:

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
    Whooaaa... wait a minute.. i'm not going to do a repair install. i already have my system customized with all my tweaks and customized settings. a repair install will remove all that and i cant do that.

As per my knowledge i will advise you to install the latest driver for the same. It might be possible that the driver which you are running got corrupted and that is why not functioning properly. Try to download and install the latest version of the driver for same. Also it is advisable that you should run any registry cleaner program which clear the registry with defected entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull50 View Post
    As per my knowledge i will advise you to install the latest driver for the same. It might be possible that the driver which you are running got corrupted and that is why not functioning properly. Try to download and install the latest version of the driver for same. Also it is advisable that you should run any registry cleaner program which clear the registry with defected entries.
    hi bull... i did try to nistall the latest driver. and i even tried different ones. and i get the same error message. the problem is not the driver.

One of my friend als had similar kind of problem and to fix this issue he did the following:

In many Gateway laptops, and in a lot of other brands of laptops, the flash card readers is a Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller. The xx will be numbers, but the same driver seems to work for a variety of models. Look in your Control Panel, System, Device Manager to see if that is the kind of reader that you have. The problem was that the original TI drivers just did not work, and the Gateway.com web site did not list the updated driver for my laptop model. However, the right driver was buried deep in the site. To find it, first select Support, then Drivers & Downloads. In the drivers & downloads search box, enter "TI Media Card Reader Driver". I selected the driver D20009-000-001.exe, dated 5/8/2009, downloaded it, and followed the directions to install. Success! The card reader works perfectly now !!! Good luck with your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by james_911 View Post
    One of my friend als had similar kind of problem and to fix this issue he did the following:
    that didnt work... could it be that i need to enable a service? i remember back then when i tweaked my system, i had disabled services. maybe i might have to enable some services that i had turned off?

Alright, you can try a clean boot to see if something may be causing this. To do a clean boot, follow the steps below:

First Step: Perform a Clean Boot
    1. Log on to your computer with an administrative account.

2. Click Start.

3. Type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

5. In the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to uncheck the Load startup items check box.

6. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

*NOTE: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

7. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Second Step: Enable Half of the Services

1. Start the System Configuration Utility. Refer to the steps above if you need to see how to do this.

2. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.

3. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.

4. Click OK, and then click Restart.

More Steps can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Alright, you can try a clean boot to see if something may be causing this. To do a clean boot, follow the steps below:

First Step: Perform a Clean Boot
    1. Log on to your computer with an administrative account.

2. Click Start.

3. Type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

5. In the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to uncheck the Load startup items check box.

6. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

*NOTE: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

7. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Second Step: Enable Half of the Services

1. Start the System Configuration Utility. Refer to the steps above if you need to see how to do this.

2. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.

3. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.

4. Click OK, and then click Restart.

More Steps can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us
    hi, james.. your instructions are for windows 7.. i got xp pro. and anyway, i followed your instructions and i still cant install my memory card driver.
    Last edited by koolx; 06-03-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Have you tried using the MSI Cleanup Utility from Microsoft to remove any leftovers of a previous unsuccessful installation of drivers from your pc? With the MSI Cleanup Utility, you can remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information. You may want to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program if you experience installation (Setup) problems.

Have you tried using the MSI Cleanup Utility from Microsoft to remove any leftovers of a previous unsuccessful installation of drivers from your pc? With the MSI Cleanup Utility, you can remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information. You may want to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program if you experience installation (Setup) problems.
    hi james.. i tried this program days ago and it didint help my issue.

what i find very strange is the fact that i can install any driver except for the driver for the card reader. i really dont get it. any other suggestions?

james i forgot to tell you that i'm also trying to remove this driver. i've followed the removal instructions specific to this driver which state removing it through "Add Remove Programs". but, it doesnt get removed at all. how do i remove it manually?

If you are unable to remove it through the Windows Add/Remove program then i will advise you to use the third party uninstaller program like Revo Uninstaller and Your Uninstaller. This Uninstaller Utility will help you to remove the program easily from the system. So if you can then use the same uninstaller the program and see this is working for your issue or not.