Thread: Need file association with Run As for opening a file

Need file association with Run As for opening a file

I have windows XP in my PC. Now consider that I have an application called App.exe. App.exe loads a driver, let's say driver.sys. The files that App.exe creates have a file extension which we say as .xyz. The windows know that .xyz files are to run App.exe. When I login as an administrator type and double click on .xyz file, App.exe runs and everything is fine. I can edit .xyz file, use it and again save it. But when I am a limited user which I am usually there are no issues running App.exe using Run As and opening the file.xyz, but I feel that it is not a proper way. When I double click .xyz file, App.exe runs, but the driver can't load. So only the parts that don't require work. So is there any solution to this. Please help me out on this.

Re: Need file association with Run As for opening a file

I had a look at your question and I think that it’s too complicated. As much as I got it I think that you're asking if there's a way for a limited user account to load a driver. If this is what you are asking then I am afraid there isn't any method. If such thing happens then there will be a huge security hole which you which will be very difficult to fill. Also I need to ask you that all the files that you have mentioned are imaginary files or are they actually related to your programs.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Now the files that I have mentioned in the question are not hypothetical. They are all related to my programs. I just renamed then due to security fears. The driver works on a parallel port to which is connected a piece of hardware which is to be controlled. The alternative for this is to run with administrator rights most of the times. But as I have mentioned it before I have the security fears when I am using administrator rights. I see it as much more dangerous than for one application.

What you can do is you can set the requested execution level require Administrator in App.exe manifest. The require Administrator is recommended for administrator applications only. Here you don’t require any internal elevation points. The applications are already in running in elevated mode. So you just need to follow the steps that are given in this solution and I am sure it will work. It will help you to get rid of your problem.