Thread: <windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

<windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

I have a Dell XPS with Windows Xp. I have an error <windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. I have tried every thing I have read or been told on how to fix this. I have used the f-8 key to try safe mode and all the other options on that page. When I hit enter, it goes back to error screen. I've installed disk, rebooted with disk. Even went to set up and turn drives on and off. Nothing seems to work. Any other ideas on what do do would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Re: <windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Have you tried deleting partition and creating a new partition and doing a quick format of ntfs then install windows again. There is a good chance of numerous bad sectors on the hard drive and thats why i was opting you to format or even full format the drive. You can boot off of the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console here type chkdsk /R and hit enter. If it takes several hours, then the drive has too many bad sectors.If this still fails, I would run HDD Diagnostics on the drive for your Manufacturer.

Thanks for info Einstein_007, but I can't type any thing. I can put a disk into any drive and nothing happens. I can go to set up screen and look at info. I can move up and down and highlight item and turn on and off. I can enter f-8 and have a screen for safe mode. I can move up and down and highlight any of the options and hit enter. It goes back to error screen. I tried safe mode with prompts, but it does not allow me to enter any commands. It has a highlight on Windows Xp only and that is the only thing I can hit enter on, back to error screen again. I'm thinking I need to buy a new hard drive and maybe new dvd or cd drive and reinstall everything along with more memory. Or just buy a new system all together with latest everything. thanks for any help, all help greatly appreciated.

Do you have a Windows XP cd with you? If so then insert the disk into the cd drive and then restart your pc and press either del key or the F2 key or F10 key on your keyboard to enter the bios setup. Then from their change the first boot sequence to boot from cd drive selecting your drive. Then restart your pc again and at the next prompt you will see that the windows xp setup page is starting. Just follow the steps shown at the screen or follow my previous suggestions given.