Thread: Error: "An error has occurred in the portal site" on Sharepoint

Error: "An error has occurred in the portal site" on Sharepoint

I am getting an error "An error has occurred in the portal site. Contact the portal site administrator for assistance". I have tried to look into error log but there was nothing. Even nothing was there in the C:\Program Files\SharePoint Portal Server\Logs. This is a portal website that has been restored from another server. Does anybody has any idea for getting rid of this error as it is very much urgent for me to make this portal working as soon as possible.

Re: Error: "An error has occurred in the portal site" on Sharepoint

In this period are much busier the site, and that is why I write today (day 24) the first post of the month of March ... what a shame. However, my attention is mainly focused on a sharepoint project for the company where I work. Yesterday, after the clean installation of SharePoint Portal 2003 and my custom template, I am faced with this error, while creating an area of the portal:

An error has occurred in the portal site. Contact the portal site administrator for assistance.

In the portal logs, the error is as follows:

"SPException: You Have choosen The template is invalid or non-existent"

How is it possible?? If you've just created at least 15 areas with the same template as it may be invalid or nonexistent? After a full day to beat my head, here's why: know that sharepoint portal, after about twenty areas that create, add the url to the name of your choice, a "code" (composed of the letter C and an incremental) to give us the opportunity to create areas with the same name, made in different topologies. Here, I was just arrived at that point. And the exception that was thrown was more than right! As, indeed create sharepoint site with that code, and templates associated with the ID 35 (invisible template when creating a new area). And I, to install my template, I WEBTEMPSPS.xml neatly removed from the file all the basic template of the portal ... So, when you change that xml file, you are very careful to leave at least the template ID 35!

If you have developed webparts, or even made a few customization on your WSS 3.0 site, you may have met the error of the most annoying: "An unexpected error occurred", (eg in my case, the Page DispForm.aspx a simple list) and a proposal to clear some webparts on the page, they could pose a problem. The problem is that there is no indication of the nature of the error, nor trace...Gold MOSS / WSS 3.0 is the ASP. NET and ASP.NET developers know it is possible to hide or enable error messages + track the display. It happens of course in the web.config file. We must change:

Code:
    <SafeMode MaxControl = "200" callstack = "false" 
    AllowPageLevelTrace = "false ".... 
    in 
    <SafeMode MaxControl = "200" callstack = "true" AllowPageLevelTrace = "false" ... 

and disable custom errors in putting "Off": 

<customErrors mode="On"/> 
    to replace 
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    Once changed, save the web.config file. (However, this causes an application pool recycling, and disconnect any current users.). The next call to the page, the error becomes a page classic ASP.NET, and is clearly more meaningful to debug!

If you see a network problem arrived on the server, you should add to the server farm, whenever this problem occurs. Suppose, if the server has an wrong IP address. In such cases, SharePoint Portal Server shows an error message that you have got. Though, this error message does not explain why you are not able to connect to the configuration database.