Thread: How to use Excel Macro

How to use Excel Macro

For a project work I need to build up a macro. The thing is that I had never done this before, so for the starting point this has become really hard to understand. Friends say that doing this by vba is much better and easier job. I want to build up a macro that can provide a form fillup and then total of some amount at the end. I tried to use the same by reading the help file. But nothing much helped here. Sometime nothing happens there. I tried following the keys combination of ctrl + b but there is a error popup on the screen. It is better to have some sample on this. Thanks.

Re: How to use Excel Macro

A macro can automate repetitive tasks. There are some two different methods are used to create Excel macros. The first one is by recording a user sequence and second by using VBA. For the beginning you can go for the first option. Here Excel automatically creates a list of commands in VBA. This method to create an Excel macro is similar to Microsoft Word. The only negative point of this is that the creation of an Access macro can not be done by recording a sequence of movements but by VBA or by selecting the list of available commands. Try following some video tutorials for that. It will guide you in a much better way to click on which option for making an macro. You can also download free excel sample files which comes with automated macros.

Here is how you can create a macro. For that you will need to define a a name of the macro. Then comes the keyboard shortcut which will start the macro by a key combination. It is recommended that you must not use keyboard shortcuts like CTRL + B which is for bold, CTRL + I for italic, CTRL + U for underline, etc. It is recommended that you must create a shortcuts which must be made from a combination of ctrl + atl + shift + any letter or digit. This helps you to run the macro much more efficiently without any error. If you face any issue then you can gain being from the start to run the macro back again. Microsoft Office 2007 offers you a much better approach to run a macro.

Remember that absolute or relative mode allows you to record the movements of the cursor in the cell. It is only available in the newer version of Windows XP. For example first placed the cursor on cell A1 before you start recording. Type the digits above in your macro. In cell A3, the sum of the two upper cells, is = sum (A1: A2). This is what you can try for the starting point. Then stop recording the macro. Delete the contents of 3 cell and position the cursor in any cell (except A1), for example in B2. Run the first macro from Tools menu. Choose Macro or you can also run the same from your given key combination.

When you save an Excel macro in absolute mode, the execution follows the cursor movement in absolute terms, following the exact reference of the cell. So here when you click on record a macro mode it records motion according to the difference in the number of rows and columns. In absolute mode, the cursor moves to a cell reference well defined. So this sometime creates a issue. There are 4 possible ways to run an Excel macro is identical to Word. First from the Tools menu. You can do that by creating a button in a toolbar or even adding a command in a menu. Better go to Toolbars and then run the macro from there. This is the easiest method you can work on.

It is right to say that Macros can perform tasks automatically. For example, you can using a macro perform repetitive actions with a single click. This is like adding the contents of two cells then multiply this cell by another, etc. Many functions are available functions you can also combine. They are very handy for automating repetitive tasks. I use the method of Tools > Macro > Record New Macro. In the Macro Name box type the name of your macro. After making all the macro settings select the macro by name, as you have registered and then click Run. It will show you the sample on your screen. This is a very useful utility.