Thread: Error code 0x8004ff01 while updating Microsoft Security Essentials

Error code 0x8004ff01 while updating Microsoft Security Essentials

Hi, I keep getting this error when I try to update to the newest version of MSE. I found a previous thread on here with a possible solution:

Quote Originally Posted by DarenHawk View Post
    To resolve the error 0x8004FF01 follow these steps:
    1. Update 'Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable'.
    2. Ensure that the Windows Installer service is set to automatic and started [to "Start-> Accessories-> open the DOS prompt, or go to 'run' and type services.msc * without * asterisks, to 'submit'].
    3. Check, the item about in the window that opens, if it is enabled automatically in "Windows Installer", if not click on and start the service.
    4. Final check: Open a DOS prompt or Run and give the command:
      msiexec / regserver
    For checking if it's installed version 4.5. Now it should no longer give the error. If [impossible] that the error should reappear then try to reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials.
    However, I am stuck on step 3. I get the list of services in the window, but I don't see anything on the list that looks called Windows Installer or MSI (the name at the download). How would this program appear on the list so I can start the service?

Or maybe I'm just not understanding what that step is telling me to do.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Re: Error code 0x8004ff01 while updating Microsoft Security Essentials

I will give you another method here to update your microsoft security essentials. First try to uninstall the current MSE build and reinstall from the official MSE download page. If that fails removing MSE then try the below method:

1. Download the MSE installer for your Operating System from the Home Page: http://microsoft.com/security_essentials

2. Save the file to your Desktop. This will ensure that you can find it easily after the download is done.

3. Now press the Windows Key and R all at the same time. This will open the RUN dialog box.

4. Make sure that you delete any entries inside RUN. Now drag the MSE installer into the RUN dialog box.

5. Depending on your Operating System, after dragging the file into RUN it should appear as any of the three below:

"C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe"

C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-vista-win7

C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe

6. Now put a space in between the whole line and put /U as seen below:

"C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe" /U

C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-vista-win7 /U

C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe /U

7. Hit OK.