Thread: Microsoft Excel 2010: Unabel to set default program for .xlsx file

Microsoft Excel 2010: Unabel to set default program for .xlsx file

I am a having very serious problem with Microsoft Excel 2010. Well I have installed Window 7 on my computer. I have successfully installed Microsoft Office 2010 on my computer but there is no default program has been set for .xlsx file of the Excel 2010. Whenever I try to set default program for .xlsx file it prompts that unknown program. I have tried everything which I can do to solve the matter but it did not help me. Please give a suggestion to solve the matter.

Re: Microsoft Excel 2010: Unabel to set default program for .xlsx file

Well use the following instruction to solve the matter. You have to right click on .xlsx file. A context menu will appear on the screen you have to click on Open With. Now go to Choose Default Program. Now navigate to c:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe . You have to check Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. Now click on OK button. I think now you have been set default program for .xlsx files.

Looking at you situation I think permission is the root cause of the problem in your situation. Well I recommend you that you should back up the file of your user profile. It located in to c:\users\username. You have to logout from the system and login as Admin. You have to erase the user profile which was causing issue in this particular situation. You have to recreate your profile and login in to system with new profile after reboot. Now try to set the default program I am hoping it will help you out.

I was having the same problem which you have mentioned in your post. I had searched on Google to fine out the issue but there was nothing I found which I can utilize to solve the matter. Finally I have repaired but it did not help me then I have reinstalled Microsoft Office 2010 on my computer and magically I got rid from this strange problem. Hence I am suggesting you that you should try with repair if it does not helps you go with reinstall. I am hoping its help you.