Thread: All program links and icons open in Word document instead of the programs themselves

All program links and icons open in Word document instead of the programs themselves

I am running windows 7 operating system on Dell laptop and I noticed that unexpectedly, each and every one of my program icons on the Desktop and Taskbar have altered into Microosft Office word icons as well as open a word document as an alternative of the programs. I cannot even open any programs as well as the Word document is worthless. I did not know why this entire program altered and if you have any solution to this trouble. Please let me now so that I can get rid of this issue as soon as possible. Thank you in advance, your suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: All program links and icons open in Word document instead of the programs themselves

I also have this issue and the trouble was finally resolved with the help of Microsoft Support. I started from scratch by setting up a fresh user account as well as deleting the present one. The whole thing works very well now however I never able on the way to verify how the trouble happened in the first place. If I discover the unique program in the Windows File Manager, I am able to open the application by means of its icon. When I right-click as well as choose send shortcut to the desktop, it will do so however the shortcut icon is at a standstill Microsoft Word and clicking it opens Word as an alternative of the application.

Re: All program links and icons open in Word document instead of the programs themselves

Do you know at what time the trouble started? If so, you may possibly want to attempt a system restore to a point in time prior to the trouble. A default program is the application which Windows uses at what time you opens a particular kind of file, for example a music file, an image, or else a webpage. For instance, if you encompass more than one web browser install on your PC, you be able to select one of them to be the default browser.

It begins a few days before and I do not recall doing whatever thing to origin this. I have attempted System restore as the initial fix however it failed for the reason that of some type of missing file trouble. I just had one restore point. I will attempt your other suggestion after that. What is weird is that when I go to an app .exe file, it will launch usually. When I right-click as well as Send To the desktop, all other application shortcut symbol on the desktop alters to the one connected by means of that application as well as the programs which were allocated to those icons will attempt to open in the one I presently send to the desktop.Such as, when I send the Microsoft Word application on the way to the desktop, it emerges there through the accurate icon however all other application icon as well alters to the Word icon and programs allocated to these additional icons will all begin Microsoft word as an alternative of what they were allocated to. Thanks for your help.