Thread: Opening file type .tsv with Excel

Opening file type .tsv with Excel

Well I am using Windows 7 on my computer. I have also installed Microsoft Office 2007 on the computer of mine. Well I am having a query and I have decided to discuss with you all so that you can help me. Well I wanted to make Windows 7 and Office 2007 to open file type which is .tsv file using Microsoft Excel. Anyone having idea about this situation please reply. I will appreciate for your response. Thanks in advance.

Re: Opening file type .tsv with Excel

Well looking at your situation I am suggesting following solution that you can apply to meet your requirement. You have to click on start menu and choose control panel. Now select Default programs from the control panel menu. Now you have to choose Associate a file type of protocol with a program. You will find a list of file type see that it is added or not. If it is not added you have to add the same. If it is listed you can simply change the default application to Excel.

You can use the following steps to solve the matter I am hoping that it will help you out from this particular problem.
    1. You have to double click on file. You will prompt with dialog box which says Windows can't open this file.
    2. You to click on Select a program from a list of installed programs . This will let you to the list of programs which you have installed on your computer. If program is not present in the list simply click on the Browse button in order to choose the desired program.
    3. Once you have selected the target program click on the Open button.
    4. You have to check Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box.
    5. Now click on Ok button.

Note that the program which you have selected must support the file type which you are trying to add.

Well I am stuck in the similar situation that you have mentioned in your post. I was trying to meet the requirement by copying link to Microsoft Excel but it did not help me. .tsv file opens successfully into Word of the Microsoft Office 2010. However it doesn't open in to Excel of Microsoft Office 2010.As far as I know there was no issue on the previous version of Office. Please let me know why it is happening.

Well You can .tsv file extension to .csv file using following steps.
    1. You have to launch command prompt from the Start menu.
    2. Now enter CD command and path of the file where it was stored actually.Now you have to press enter.
    3. Now you should enter rename tsvfile.tsv tsvfile.csv on the command prompt.
    Now you will be able to open .tsv file with Microsoft Excel.
    I am hoping that it will help you.

It took me forever to figure this out. Back up your registry before making these changes. This worked for me on 2 systems running Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010 Pro Plus.

My Solution: There are 3 registry changes you can make to make it work. I’m sure you can combine them all into one fix, but I have them as 3 and run them in order of 1, 2, 3 and it works. Below is the text you can copy into notepad and save it as a .reg file. If you want to combine the 3 files into one, that’s up to you, but I am listing them as the 3 separate files the way I have them. Do not copy the text reg file 1, 2, or 3. I added that so you know what each file was.

Reg File 1:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tsv]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tsv\OpenWithList]
    "a"="EXCEL.EXE"
    "MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tsv\OpenWithProgids]
    "tsv_auto_file"=hex(0):

Reg File 2:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\EXCEL.EXE]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\EXCEL.EXE\shell]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\EXCEL.EXE\shell\open]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\EXCEL.EXE\shell\open\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office14\\EXCEL.EXE\" \"%1\""

Reg File 3:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\tsv_auto_file]
    @=""
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\tsv_auto_file\shell]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\tsv_auto_file\shell\open]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\tsv_auto_file\shell\open\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office14\\EXCEL.EXE\" \"%1\""