Thread: Need suggestion on MintInstall

Need suggestion on MintInstall

I utilized MintInstall to attempt some dissimilar types of software. Later than annoying them I determined I did not want them finally. So I went to uninstall them, I had utilized Ubuntu earlier than Linux Mint so I was utilized to the Add/Remove software program. The just position I could discover to dispose of the superfluous items was the Synaptic Package Manager. But clearly I am a Noob because I disposed of over I was supposed to and messed up Linux Mint. Later than a novel setup of Mint I have determined not to untidiness with Synaptic! Anyways my recommendation was that MintInstall has an alternative to list just the installed items on the system and place in a safe way to eliminate stuff. The thing which got me to stick with Linux this time (later than annoying it some years back) was being able to add software with no utilizing the terminal. I enjoy annoying dissimilar bits of software but I have limited space on this old PC so if I don't finish up utilizing something I require it gone.

Re: Need suggestion on MintInstall

I don't get this illogical fear/hatred/evasion of the CLI. You would select to not utilize Linux and admit the insecurity and insulting practices of Microsoft and their operating systems to evade typing:
    Code:
    apt-get install program_name
    or
    apt-get remove program_name
    at a CLI prompt!? I am thunderstruck and totally astonished at how anybody could discover that to be at all rational.

Here I only want to add that, as you say for that process you require knowing the application name, not all the time simple to discover, and you might not uninstall every dependence scrap which came with the application. My suggestion is that for Mint, the menu right-click uninstall is suggested safe technique. But I would like to know from the developers for certain.

Actually the shove of my post was toward irrational fear or loathing of the command line to the point which many would select to alter OSs rather than even think entering a solitary line of text in the CLI. So lots of users coming from Windows will pursue for and struggle with GUI programs, menus and screens for hours annoying to discover a way out rather than even consider a CLI resolution even while it is put right facing them. I truly don't obtain it, honest. I was unsuitably tough on the thread starter in my reply but that was not my purpose. I wish I had expressed my reply better.

I will be the foremost to confess that automation and its ensuing lack of precision is a twice edged sword. It is a bit like an auto-pilot on an airplane. In the majority cases an auto-pilot can fly an airplane improved than an inexpert pilot. But an auto-pilot can not at all vie with an experienced pilot, especially while conclusions and value judgments must be prepared. The similar can be said while contrasting "apt" and "synaptic." A reasonably proficient Linux user is much more probable to Bork his system with continuous exercise of "synaptic" on a modern quick moving distro than would be probable utilizing "apt." I not at all eliminate something with "synaptic" for that very cause. I will setup an easy program with "synaptic" from time to time but I not at all attempt to eliminate anything with it. I be inclined to be extra conservative than the majority.