Thread: How to use Scalpel: Easy File Rescue in Linux mint

How to use Scalpel: Easy File Rescue in Linux mint

I was having some valuable data on the USB drive here and I really want to have that here back. Please let me know if there is a way by which I can have the recovery made here. I will be really glad to know if this thing is at all possible for me here. I have the LINUX MINT based system and would really like to know how I can get back the data on this drive there. I have heard software called as Scalpel. The issue is that I have just heard about it and have really not come across with this. Has anyone used this before? If yes then please let me know how I can make use of this. In addditon to this if there is some other software then I would go with that as well. Just please let me know what is the best for me here.

Re: How to use Scalpel: Easy File Rescue in Linux mint

Yes; you have mentioned about the Scalpel then let me tell you that you can have it for you. It is basically a speedy file carver that interprets the database. After the interpretation gets completed it just extracts matching files. One more thing about this Scalpel is that it is filesystem-independent and hence it is capable of extracting the files from FATx, NTFS, raw partitions etc. It is really know to be working on the Linux platform and as you have mentioned that you are using LINUX Mint then I think that you will be able to make use of this perfectly there.

On the suggestion if you want to go with I am of the opinion that instead of making use of the Scalpel it will be great if you can have the DiskGetor Data Recovery software for you there. DiskGetor Data Recovery is basically an influential Hard drive Data Recovery Software. It cannot only recuperate deleted, lost, damaged and formatted data from hard drive but also from the USB drive and the partition as well. With all the other data recovery software I have seen that the compulsion is that you will not be allowed to write in the data but with this if you have the data on the hard drive or any other storage media it will still manage to recover the data from there. Give this option a try for once and see f that helps you there.

Pelase let me tell you that you will be able to get succeed with the Scalpel that is not at all guaranteed here. But on the same note there are chances that you might get the data recovered. You will be required to install Scalpel and here is the way by which you will be able to proceed. In order to install Scalpel you will be required to run: apt-get install scalpel. Followed with man scalpel. Then after the successful installation of Scalpel you will be required to specify the file types for which Scalpel will have to work. For example if you want to search for pdf file then you will have to run the following command: vi /etc/scalpel/scalpel.conf. After this in order to recover the file you will be required to run: scalpel /dev/sda1 -o output.

It really seems to me that making use of the Scalpel in the situation above is not at all correct. Also in addition to that we have seen that the chances of getting success are also less. I think that it will be simply great if you can stick to the DiskGetor Data Recovery software. If you want to go with the Scalpel then you can go with the installation of this software by executing the following command: sudo apt-get install scalpel. It will ask for you the password just; give it there so that the root privileges can be given to this. Now after the successful installation of the things you will be required to give command so that the files can be recovered from the configuration file. You will be able to see the configuration file in the following location: /etc directory just run the following command: /etc/scalpel/scalpel.conf. Now launch the terminal and type the following code there: sudo scalpel FILE/OR/DISK/TO/RECOVER -o /PATH/TO/WHERE/YOU/WANT/TO/SAVE/RECOVERED/ITEMS.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion; well I had just asked for the opinion if I should go with this scalpel or not. If that is really too hard then for sure I will try to see for some other option. Well I have got the Scalpel for me. I will try the steps that are given above and then will let you know if that really worked as I was expecting it to run as. If Scalpel really do not go in my way then I will see if this (DiskGetor Data Recovery software) can really go in my way.