Thread: VirtualBox won't run and cannot locate driver

VirtualBox won't run and cannot locate driver

I don’t feel shame to say that I am a Linux-newbie. Now I am running Linux Mint 9 KDE resides on a 64bit computer. I can't obtain Virtual Box to scuttle ISO. It prompts me that: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908). It also says that that the VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is moreover not loaded otherwise there is a authorization issue through /dev/vboxdrv. Please re-install the kernel module by means of implementing --'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as root. Customers of Ubuntu, Fedora otherwise Mandriva must install the DKMS pack up foremost. This package maintains pathways of Linux kernel alters and recompiles the VirtualBox Linux kernel driver ( vboxdrv) kernel module if essential. What does this means?

Re: VirtualBox won't run and cannot locate driver

First of all I want to tell you that I got similar message to run modprobe vboxdrv, however didn't appear to encompass the vboxdrv driver. It curved away that the vboxdrv.ko thing subsisted (turned up by means of doing a "locate vboxdrv"), except not intended for my existing kernel. The answer was to reconstruct the driver meant for my kernel. To realize what kernel I cove, I tried the following command: uname –r. I assume that you should have to do the same.

It seems to me that you don’t have vbox drivers in your system. So install them by the help of following command: sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-dkms. The vbox drivers are structure by means of DKMS, this is a driver framework. (It permits drivers to be assembled separately from the kernel; therefore the drivers are individual, to some extent similar to they are by way of Windows.) Usually, the apt-get program will reconstruct the drivers routinely; however when the kernel headers are not settled up, they will not obtain as re-established. Therefore, you need to verify that whether the kernel headers are installed or not by using the command: ls /usr/src

First of all I urge you to see the folder matching to the kernel edition number. If you don’t then you necessitate to get the linux-headers wrap up from apt-get. Run the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kernel-header
    You may find a list of possible headers sets to install. Decide the one that equivalents your kernel edition, furthermore install it. For Example:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-24-server
    Installing a latest kernel must activate a rebuild of each and every one the dkms-based drivers.

I think that you should go for downloading and installing the authorized Virtualbox provided by the Sun. Following the install, it approaches by way of a guest edition disk (iso file) which has each and every one of the drivers you necessitate for a completely incorporated guest OS. Other thing is if the headers are previously installed, then put in the --reinstall flag:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install linux-headers-2.6.32-24-server
    After that, establish the virtualbox-ose tune-up:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/virtualbox-ose start