Thread: How can I recover deleted directory

How can I recover deleted directory

Yesterday, I deleted some of the significant directory from my computer with the rm –r command. I need that files back because they were so important. I tried many things to get that back but all of that were just waste of time. Can you tell me any way by which I will be able to recover those directories? I googled it for a long time for this but not able to get the perfect answer for this. Can you tell me any way to do that? Any help on this topic will really be appreciative. Thank you.

Re: How can I recover deleted directory

If you have encrypted your home then any of the app that is made for the recovery will not able recover your files completely. PhotoRec is nothing but file data recovery software made to recuperate missing files that includes video, documents as well as archives as of hard disks. PhotoRec is free of charge and this is open source for multiplatform application. PhotoRec is a attendant program for TestDisk. This is an application that will recover all the missing partitions on wide diversity of file systems as well as making nonbootable disks bootable once more. You will be able to search and download them very easily from google. PhotoRec makes use of read only right of entry to grip the drive otherwise memory card you are on the verge of recover missing data from. Whilst using PhotoRec, you should not select to write the recovered files to the similar partition where they were stored previously.

You can try to use the debugfs program and see what it can help you. It is an interactive file system debugger. This is very helpful if you wish to inspect as well as modify the position of an ext2 file system. This is the best thing if you are getting any problem like this. Debugfs be present as a uncomplicated method intended for kernel developers to build information obtainable to user space. Unlike /proc, that is just predestined for information regarding a process otherwise sysfs.

There is one additional software called Stellar Phoenix Linux-software is a completely mechanical data recovery designed for volumes of Linux file system Ext2, Ext3 as well as Reiser File System within the complete season of Linux. This software Linux Data Recovery makes use of an only one of its kind scanning technique, which routinely makes out misplaced partition, volume, spoiled, removed files as well as folders. These tool reinstate linux data revival volumes offer the way of the hard drive IDE / EIDE / ATA as well as SCSI.

I don’t think that this is possible to get it back. If that is Windows XP or any other operating system then I can say that there are many softwares that can do this but for the Linux Mint, I have not heard any of such software that can recover the deleted data from the drive. So you should accept that this is lost. But if you can get that file back again in any way then please post that method here so that it could be helpful to all the other users who are searching for the same.

CraigFoote Guest

I don’t think it’s relevant if you go ahead with the Photorec software whereas it restores accidental deleted images, video and audio files. The data recovery is the software where you can recover deleted files in a fraction of seconds without affecting the other data which resides in the drive; this might help you in fixing up the problem.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 14-01-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.

Problem solved!!! Finally I managed to get that back. I used PhotoRec as suggested in the very first post and it did the work for me. So if you are also searching the same solution then I would like to recommend you the same and if it can recover the file in my case then it will do the same for you. Just download and use that. I hope that this will be helpful to other users also. Thank you very much to all for your replies.