Thread: Unable to see a shared folder in the virtualbox

Unable to see a shared folder in the virtualbox

I have a windows xp running in the virtualbox. I have a Linux mint 10 operating system. Whenever I try to add a shared folder to the system I cannot see in the windows xp. I have tried this several times still it is giving me the same result. So do you all have any idea why is this happening? I also need to know how to access the usb key for the virtualbox and also note that I am using the Virtualbox 3.28_ose R64453 version. I have given the necessary details now I am waiting for your responses.

Re: Unable to see a shared folder in the virtualbox

Talking about your usb key query. Let me tell you that you are using the ose version. You cannot use the usb feature in the ose version. So It is better to upgrade it with the latest version. I would recommend you to switch to any of the PUEL version. That will help. If you want something better then it is better to download the version 4 of the virtual box that will definitely help you. The problem that you were facing with the sharing folder mat also get removed. So do carry on with the necessary solution it will definitely help you.

According to me you are not able to view the folder because you need to add yourself in the users group of the virtualbox. Try with the following steps and you will be able to get your solution
    1) Go to the menu and select the administration.
    2) After that select the users and group.
    3) If that feature is locked then you need to unlock it.
    4) Then select your user, go to the properties and select the user privileges tab.
    5) There you will get the option of use virtualbox. You have to just check that option.
    You are done with it. After doing that reboot the system and see the changes. You will get the desired result.

If you are not happy with the working of the virtualbox then my recommendation would be to go with the vmware. This is also virtualizations software. I am personally using it and I did not have any issues regarding it. If you want more information regarding this product then you can read the several reviews about the product and decide on that accordingly. Many of my friends who were using virtualbox are now using vmware. So if you have any query regarding the product then do let me know.

Hey thanks a lot for the solutions that you have given me. Well let me tell you that your suggestions have really helped me get out of this problem. What I did was I upgraded the version of the virtualbox. I upgraded to the version 4 and I saw that I was able to use the usb feature in it. Upon that I also activated the users and group property of the virtual box. After that everything is working fine for me. I am able to view all the shared files in the windows xp.

kemanblack Guest

I just found this thread after several hours with this machine is not modifiable error! Now I work sharing folder. All notes must be done in the Virtual Box help file and manual. I bet a few get caught with it.