Thread: How to add a new protocol in windows

How to add a new protocol in windows

I want to add a new protocol in my system. I want to make it as news and I am thinking that windows mail would be the default mail program to handle that protocol. Unfortunately I have failed every time I tried to add the protocol. What I did was went to the control panel and from there selected the associated file or protocol but that allows me to change only the existing program and does not allows me to add any new entry. So do you have any suggestions on how to add a new protocol.

Re: How to add a new protocol in windows

Well once you get to the associated file type or protocol option then you will be given the option of selecting the programs or protocol. If you have installed the protocol then the necessary option will be displayed in the list. Then you will have to just select the program from which you want to open that protocol. So you can select the windows mail in order to make it as a default mail program. So hope you have got the necessary solutions.

Well let me tell you the basic steps in order to add any particular protocol in the system.
    1) Go to the menu and go to the control panel and select the network and sharing center.
    2) After that click on the change adapter settings.
    3) There you will get the local area connection.
    4) Right click on it and select the properties.
    5) Click on the protocol that you want to add.
    So do follow these steps and let me know if it works or not.

Well it seems that I am not getting with any of the solution. So I think you are not able to provide me with any of the correct solution. I have tried searching various websites and all of them are showing me some different coding information on how to add the url protocol but none of them have worked. Your solutions were more focused on how to select the program as a default program for the protocol but you all have not specified on how to add the protocol. So if you all have any other solution or methods to add the protocol then do let me know.