Thread: Windows 7 Private Key Error

Windows 7 Private Key Error

I am running windows 7 home premium and today morning I try to import .pfx file into the local computer personal certificate store. But while importing an error occurred saying that an internal error occurred. This may be either the user profile is not available or else the private key which you are importing may need a cryptographic service supplier that is not available on your system. Any Idea to get rid of this error. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Re: Windows 7 Private Key Error

This problem may possibly happen due to inadequate permissions to use the Drive Letter:\Documents and Settings->All Users->Application Data->Microsoft->Crypto->RSA->Machine Keys folder on the computer.Locate the accurate rights for the Machine Keys directory. After setting the accurate permission. You will no longer have this trouble.

I tried on the way to import a definite pfx file on 3 dissimilar windows 7 computers furthermore received this error on each one of them. My answer was to import it into a windows server 2003 box, after that export it, after that try to import it into windows 7, which functioned. This may work if with Windows XP mode if you do not have a server 2003 box to bind it off.

Machine Keyset is explained as "Private keys are saved in the local PC store to a certain extent than the current user store". The default with no flags is on the way to put in the user store. Thus, I am guessing that although you are reading the cert from disk as well as saving it in an object that the _LoadCertFromFile method is at a standstill right to use a certificate store. Furthermore on the hosting server the ASP.NET procedure does not contain permission to access the user store .

Hi All,I am facing some problem at what time I attempt to import a .pfx file into windows 7 or windows 2008. At whatever time I attempt to import the file I obtain the error: "an internal error occurred. This may be either the user profile is not available or else the private key which you are importing may need a cryptographic service supplier that is not available on your system".
    I have tried to locate the machine folder which I be able to find beneath following path in windows 7;
    C:\Users->[USER NAME]->AppData->Roaming->Microsoft->Crypto->RSA
    I have tried on the way to set the authorization based on the above post. Can somebody please help me with getting this problem resolved.

WOW! That in reality resolved my problem as well. I was loading the cert from an surrounded resource into a byte[] and it functioned on the machine without any troubles however once organize on the server I get that odd "internal error occured". With the Machine Keyset attribute attached the whole thing functions like a charm! Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion.