Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows 7 Update Installation Stuck

Windows Software

Old 05-01-2011

Windows 7 Update Installation Stuck

I was using my Dell Inspiron laptop off-line (playing a game). When I powered it down, the "install updates" message appeared saying:
"Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 13.."
After hours of waiting, the message has not changed. There seems to be no way out of this. It will not install and I can't find a way to abort or restart the process. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-01-2011

Re: Windows 7 Update Installation Stuck

It is obvious behavior of the Windows 7 to install the patch for the computer while you are shutting it down. It might be possible that it already downloaded the update and then you turned off the Internet and now it is installing the same. To shut down it without installing update you have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL button and right corner you will find the shut down button. Click on same and select Shut Down. This will shut down your computer without installing update for your system.

Or

• Click on Start
  • Type Regedit in Search and hit enter
  • Double Click on Registry Editor
  • Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU"
  • Create a new entry by right-clicking on the right pane and choosing ?New DWORD?
  • Name it as "NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption"
  • Set Value for this as 1
  • Close Registry Window
  • Restart Computer

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,