Thread: Revisiting: Error 1628: Failed to complete installation

Revisiting: Error 1628: Failed to complete installation

After reading a thread on the 1628 error, I'm wondering if the fix might work for me?

I have tried to install the latest USB 3 driver(NEC) from the ASUS site to my new ASUS laptop with Windows 7 64 bit Home edition. After extracting the files each time I ran the .exe file I would get a 1605 error and that was that.

On further research Windows 7 has a feature to Change or Repair programs and on trying to check this with the current USB3 drivers, up came a 1628 error. So either the current USB3 Drivers have some problem or the latest driver corrupted the installer.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Re: Revisiting: Error 1628: Failed to complete installation

Just go through the below given instruction which will help you to make the installation which you are looking for.
    1. Right-click the Windows Task bar
    2. Select Task Manager from context menu
    3. Go to Process tab
    4. Find the process "idriver.exe" is running.
    5. Select the process
    6. Click on End Process button
    7. Now start with the installation

Well I searched High & Low in Task Manager, there's no entry for idriver in the list.

Any other ideas?

Then this might be the problem with the Windows Installshield which might be not working properly and that is why you are getting the issue with the same. I will advise you to go with the below given instruction and see whether this is working for you or not.

• Double Click on My Computer
    • Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\
    • Right-click the Installshield folder
    • Select rename from Content Menu
    • Type InstallShield1
    • Press ENTER.
    • Try to install the File

If this is not working then it is better to Download and install the latest Windows Installer package from the Microsoft which will resolve the issue related to the same.

hey i was wondering if u guys could help me u seem to know what is up. im running windows vista home premium and i have tried all suggestions. im tryign to install a new mmo rift ever time i get error 1628 any suggestions plzs help

You need to install the latest Windows Installer package in order to fix the error 1628. You can download the same from here. If the problem still exists than locate, and then close the Idriver.exe and Msiexec.exe files. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Open the Task Manager. To do this, click Start, type taskmgr in the Start 2. Search box, and then click taskmgr.exe in the Programs list.
    3. On the Processes tab, in the Image Name column, locate idriver.exe and msiexec.exe.
    4. Select each instance of both processes, and then click End Process.
    5. Click End Process on each Windows Task Manager window that opens.
    6. Close the Task Manager.

Thats it, now try installing the game again.

ok i tried that and there is no sign of idriver.exe or msiexec.exe

The error which you are getting always occur if yours systems installation folder got corrupted or damaged. To work with this issue i will advise you to visit the "DRIVE \Program Files\Common Files\" and now Right Click on Installshield folder and select rename option and rename it as InstallShield1 and press enter. Now try to install the game and see whether this is working for your issue or not. Also check out the below given link which is having brief description about problem and its solutions. '

Error 1628

I'm having the same issues.... Problem is, everyone responding is ignoring the fact that this is for Windows 7 - which looks completely different!

I've tried to download the Installer 4.5 AND 5.0 but the 4.5 one doesn't show support for Windows 7 and 5.0 is showing Windows 6 (?)

There has also been mention of a Security Restriction Policy but again, with Windows 7, there aren't the same menus and I can't find it by searching, either!

I'm trying to download my DVD Driver again (as HP has huge problems with reading DVDs sporadically) and I get the 1628 Installation error. I've tried the Mr Fixit (or whatever it's called) but I can't even download it. Can't be the size as I've just done a complete redownload of the Sims 3 game with EPs and Patches, which easily exceed 100MB for each.