Thread: raw files not opening in Win Photo Viewer

raw files not opening in Win Photo Viewer

I am using Windows 7 64 bit operating system on my laptop and I have downloaded nikon raw codecs on this laptop. I am able to watch nef files from windows explorer as it show thumbnails as well but when I am trying to open the same pictures from the Win Photo Viewer. I am even able to associate raw extensions with photo viewer. Does anybody has some idea about this issue? Please help!

Re: raw files not opening in Win Photo Viewer

File extension nave Photo gross captured by a Nikon camera, uncompressed format that stores the data exactly as they were captured by the CCD with adjustments to parameters such as exposure and white balance can be achieved with software once the image is saved on a computer. Nikon's proprietary raw image file, sometimes displayed as NEF (RAW). NEF Codec is a module for processing Nikon RAW files (. NEF) files as easy as JPEG or TIFF. As much I know about this file format that it is not supported by the Win Photo Viewer.

I suggest you to use some other software for dealing with the nikon camera image files. And even I don't think that there would be any function left in any third party software which can be only done by the Win Photo Viewer. Here I have provided some of the best software that you can use to open the RAW files of Nikon. Apple Aperture, iPhoto, Adobe PhotoShop CS, Nikon View, Adobe PhotoShop, ACDSee Photo Manager, Nikon ViewNX, Google Picasa, Adobe Photoshop Elements 9, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5, ACD Systems Canvas 11.

In Photoshop (I have no SC, but Elements 4), Nikon Capture plugin takes precedence over CameraRAW. Rename Nikon NEF plugin Plugin.8bi (or rename it whatever you want, for example Nikon NEF Nikon NEF or Plugin.8bi.bof Plugin.8bi.con ), So when you open a NEF file in Photoshop, it opens well with CameraRAW, and get access to all functions of CameraRAW. Photoshop does not save in NEF format so you do not modify or overwrite the original NEF, it only records associated with the NEF file that contains the corrections you've made. With a Coolscan, the NEF did not not have the same interest with a digital box, save all the scans in TIF NikonScan directly. I have not tried from a Coolscan NEF in Nikon Capture (trial date), but it seems normal to me does not have access to white balance, as there none in a Coolscan (I think). For advanced RAW format, it can also be the case, these functions may be available only for NEF coming from a Nikon, but I'm not an expert in Nikon Capture.

I installed the Nikon NEF plugin Plugin.8Bi in Photoshop. This opens the Coolscan NEF in Photoshop, and then treat them like any other image. But if scanning is sloppy, you do not retrieve your mistakes. So it is better to save directly to TIF. The NEF can be reopened in Nikon Scan, but all correction functions are no longer available, so no interest to me. And to reassure you, in Photoshop, once open a NEF file (whether from a scanner or a camera), either with Camera Raw or Nikon plugin, you cannot save in NEF. Camera Raw to DNG saves (assuming it is a NEF from a camera). If you do not have a Nikon digital box, so you can let the plugin to open your Nikon NEF directly into Photoshop. But this plugin takes precedence over Camera Raw, if you own a digital camera, and you want to open NEF from this case with Photoshop, they will open with the plugin Nikon, depriving you of the coup of Camera Raw. For you see, depending on your hardware. My best advice is to scan in TIF. Nikon Capture (I repeat myself) the "white balance" and "Advanced Raw" concern only the NEF from cameras, not from a Coolscan NEF. So, (I repeat again) scanner as TIF, fine tune the scans with onions directly with the tools from Nikon Scan!