Thread: Windows Media Player 12 cannot play .mov files

Windows Media Player 12 cannot play .mov files

Recently, I have installed Windows 7 in my computer which is having Windows Media Player 12 by default. It is running all the other format of the file without any issue but whenever I try to play .mov files then it cannot play that. If I play some old files then it can play that but cannot play the new files. I tried to play it with the Quicktime and it can play that. Please tell me that what I should do to get out of this issue.

Re: Windows Media Player 12 cannot play .mov files

You may be using the older codec on your computer that is creating the problem for the Windows Media Player. My suggestion to you is to install the latest codec on the computer. If you want to do that then you can refer the link below and this will redirect you to the Microsoft page and you will find all the information for doing this. I hope that this will help you.

Go to Microsoft Download Center

My suggestion to you is to make sure whether media player have set the entire files as default. To do that, you can go to the steps below:
    1. First of all click on the start button and select Default Programs.
    2. Click on the Set your default programs.
    3. From the Programs list, click on the Windows Media Player and select Choose defaults for this program
    4. Click select all from the top left corner or you can also choose the check boxes that is there next to the file type which you desire Windows Media Player to run by default.

I think that you need to add the default codecs for Windows and go through the steps below.
    1. From the control panel, open the Add/Remove Programs.
    2. From the Windows Setup tab, select Multimedia or Sounds and Multimedia and after that click on the Details.
    3. Check the check boxes for Audio Compression and Video Compression and press OK.
    4. Click on OK button.

You should remove the existing Windows media player from your computer. It is possible that it is corrupted and that is why it is showing you the problems like this. According to me you have to install it again. Search for setup of that from internet. Download and install lit. Before installing that you should completely remove the existing one from your computer and then only do the installation again. This will make all the new files for it and can solve the problems for you.