Thread: How to fix Error:"WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM"

How to fix Error:"WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM"

When I turned on my computer I got a message “WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM”.I don’t know what is this message. I want to fix this problem how should I fix it?. I’ve search some website regarding this, they ask me for recovery cd.That’s the problem, Is there any other way I can solve this problem I don’t have the cd. Is there any solution without recovery/repair cd. Please suggest me some easy solution. Help me.

Re: How to fix Error:"WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM"

If you do not have Windows XP cd then you have to take cd from your any friend. Because the installation of windows is not possible without a cd, so get it first.You are getting this error because of missing or corrupt following file” WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM”. After getting the cd you have to follow the instructions:
    1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
    2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
    3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
    Typically this will be #1
    4. Enter in the administrator password when requested
    5. cd \windows\system32\config
    6. Depending on which section was corrupted:
    ren software software.bad or ren system system.bad
    7. Depending on which section was corrupted
    copy \windows\repair\system
    copy \windows\repair\software
    8. Take out the CD ROM and type exit
    Once done restart your pc and now you are ready to use your windows operating system.

If you want your data should remain safe and does not want any data loss then you need xp disc. With xp cd you choose to install Windows XP and when you choose to install over the current XP installation you will be given the option to repair the current Windows installation and you won't lose all of your data.If you can’t get Repair option to work, Then use live CD,or putting the HD in another computer (Options 4 & 5).If not solved you can serach on internet.

You need to format your computer and install new windows operating system.you get that message Because of some corrupt file or missing file. For installing a windows or to repair a window you need a bootable cd or xp cd. Bootable cd contains some files through which system runs. You have to insert that cd in cd-rom and press R. You can see a setup screen now.
    Select the appropriate path for windows and press enter
    If it asks you for the administrator password, type the administrator password and
    press enter or just hit enter

We will now see the Prompt c:\windows>

Step 2:
    cd system32\config

ren system system.old
    ren software software.old
    ren SAM SAM.old
    ren security security.old
    ren default default.old

Then type cd Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press Enter

If you get "access denied" (Error) then

Restart the computer by type Exit and get back to recovery console

type cd \ and it will display C:\>
    type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press Enter

Step 3:
    Type dir
    It will list you restore points
    (e.g. RP1, RP2, RP3, RP4, etc...)

Select the one from the list except the last one
    Say RP4

• type cd RP3 (or RP2 or RP1 or RPn) and enter

• type cd snapshot and enter

• type copy _registry_user_.default c:\windows\system32\config\default and enter

• type copy _registry_machine_security c:\windows\system32\config\security and
    enter

• type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and
    enter

• type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and enter

• type copy _registry_machine_sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam and enter

• type exit and enter

This error comes usually when your registry have become badly corrupted.You can see this type of message like NTLDR is missing or Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. When you try to start your computer you will fail to boot your system. If you are in a situation where you cannot boot from the Windows CD,which means you won't be able to access the Recovery Console,and also hitting F8 and choosing Last Known Good Configuration fails to fix the problem,then you will need to repair it manually.
    This will require that you have READ/WRITE access to the NTFS partition of the hard drive from within MS-DOS.You will need a program called NTFSDOS Professional.