Thread: Templates on joomla and wordpress

Templates on joomla and wordpress

I'm working on the creation of templates on drupal. Localhost in my templates loaded like a charm. But when I go to my free server it does not loaded properly. I am not able to find out an exact problem. Also let me tell you that I am not an expert in this field, so I am expecting that some of you members provide some solutions for me in easy language (descriptive). I am unsure about the reasons that are causing these issues. Maybe, I am not having enough knowledge about the joomla and wordpress. It would be much helpful if you provide some information on that topic also.

Re: Templates on joomla and wordpress

Even I am having some issues about templates that are created in joomla and wordpress. There are some templates that works only for certain versions of joomla? I use the 1015 version of joomla and does not work ... I do is export the template in the folder, the upload on the server in the folder / templates and go to management and never appears ... I also try to do .zip and from the administration tried to install and I get a message saying the file was not found XML designation ... that's what I'm doing wrong? I would appreciate please indicate my mistake ..

Joomla and Wordpress are two of the most popular open source CMS developers. Provide extensive documentation and are driven by very large community. Wordpress is usually the preferred choice of designers, especially for its well-designed administrative backend and the availability of many items of quality. On the other hand, Joomla is still suffering the legacy of Mambo, which has fueled the bad reputation to the relatively low performance, and output HTML tables semantically incorrect. Despite this bad reputation is still very solid, from Joomla version 1.5 offers a completely rewritten core, which generates HTML, and extensible semantics. One of the things that makes them different is their Wordpress and Joomla template theme manager. From a developer perspective, this difference gives rise to two conflicting feelings: for those who switch from Joomla to Wordpress that it requires too much code, and that Joomla ENL otherwise be insufficiently flexible and customizable. The reason for these feelings lies in the differences between the two mental models underlying the system development issues.

The development model of the themes in Wordpress is essentially based on a frame views. This means that for every issue there could be a file to view the list of posts, the single view, and archive pages. These files are autonomous of each other, permitting the developer to customize each view, but also forcing him to replica many parts of the code, since the only parts shared are the header and footer. The main problem with this model is that different views do not always require a specific presentation (files, lists of categories and tags are still lists). To determine this predicament each theme is organized in a hierarchical structure in which views are used as a surrogate more generic (fallback) of the more detailed. The common fallback for a Wordpress theme is the index.php file which is then the only file required (along with the style sheet) in a theme.

To better understand how a Wordpress theme, it is necessary to introduce the concepts of "the loop" and template tags. The first is the cycle through which data is extracted for each post (or mailing list), and consists basically of a loop while something like this:
    PHP Code:
    <? Php if (have_posts ()): while (have_posts ()): the_post ();?> 
      / / Output data of the post 
      <? Php endwhile; endif;?>
    The key part of this code is represented by the function the_post() , which initializes an object PHP global $post that contains all the data on this page. Since all the functions for display and formatting of data supporting the object $post, the loop is also required to display a single post. The functions of this type are called template tags is their main task is to print formatted data. Typically, the output does not contain HTML code, since they can be used in dissimilar cases.

Compared to Wordpress, Joomla has a very different approach for the realization of the themes. In Joomla templates are built on a common structure defined in the file index.php. This file contains both static HTML code (which is then shared by all pages of the site) that the template tags that are placeholders for blocks of content that will be generated dynamically from the CMS. A concrete example of a template tag is:
    Code:
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="right" style="xhtml" />
    The main difference between the various template tag is the type of content that will replace them: component, message, module, head. The main advantage of this model structure in common is that we should not write the entire page template for each view but only the code necessary. At first glance you might think that this should be at the expense of customization possibilities, since the CMS has a default output for each block of content. In fact Joomla is based on the Model View Controller , that the extraction and manipulation of data are separated from their presentation, which is assigned to the component view.

In recent years the concept of plug-in made the difference in the landscape of software, as evidenced by the Mozilla Firefox project. As mentioned above, all modern CMS have adopted this concept, offering a range of native functionality defined (users, articles, etc..) And different ways to add more functionality, thus creating a modular system that was successful for several reasons:
    • Better upgradability: developers should not put his hand to add functionality to the core.
    • System lighter and more secure: only some functions including the code is more streamlined and the system is made lighter and safer.
    • Growth separate cycles for the core and additional features: a system for providing extensibility, developers can build extensions to many more independent, while the main development team can focus on its core, its stability and security.
    For Open Source Projects latter point is both a strength of a hazard, resulting in a distributed development work but also unable to check all the code produced by the community. Beyond the manner in which extensions are called, the model extensibility of Wordpress and Joomla have some substantial differences with regard to how to implement deals. The key to understanding the two models of extensibility is that while Joomla is based on MVC, Wordpress based on a system to events to which the extensions are attached (hooked).