Thread: Unable to play streaming audio on windows Media Player 12

Unable to play streaming audio on windows Media Player 12

I am having Microsoft Windows Home Premium operating system installed on my desktop and my desktop is connected to the office network thus we are having LAN connection. Last week only I have upgraded my Windows media player with the latest released version. From last night I am facing problem with my media player while playing streaming audio. When I start to play the streaming audio then I get an error message saying that “Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server”. I am unaware of the solution which will help me in solving the problem and therefore I need a solution which will help me in solving the streaming problem.

Re: Unable to play streaming audio on windows Media Player 12

You can use windows media player to play streaming audio. If your system is connected to the LAN network and you are facing problem while playing streaming audio then you need to verify that your proxy settings are correct by following the steps given below:
    1. You need to start the system and click on the start button from the desktop.
    2. Select Windows media player 12. When the windows media player 12 screen appears then you need to click on Organize menu and then select Options.
    3. You need to select Network tab from the option dialog box and under the network tab you need to click on streaming proxy settings button and verify it.
    4. You can verify the settings by selecting a protocol and then click on configure button.
    5. When the configure dialog box appears then you need to click on either Autodetect proxy settings or Use proxy settings of the Web browser checkbox and try to play the streaming audio to check if the problem has been resolved.

If you are unable to play the streaming audio in windows media player 12 then you need to follow the step given below in order to solve it:
    1. You need to login into the system and go into the control panel by clicking on start button from the desktop.
    2. You need to open Windows Firewall by double clicking on it, then select "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall” and then click on Windows Media Player check box if you are using internet from local network.
    3. If you are playing streaming data on windows on local network like Wi-Fi then windows firewall will block those stream data for your system.

You need to update your windows media player by installing latest codec. If you are getting Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server” error message then you need to download latest version of codec for your media player. If you have installed codec from unauthorized site then it may also cause error while playing streaming audio. Also while downloading codec you need to take proper caution so that it is properly downloaded. After downloading codec you can install it and check if the problem of playing streaming audio player has been resolved.

If you have verified your proxy settings such that they are correct and still you are getting “Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server” error message then in that case you can resolve this issue very easily by turning off the UDP protocol checkbox. This error arises when the media player is receiving the stream by user datagram protocol. You need to follow the steps given below to turn off the UDP protocol checkbox and try to play the audio to check if the issue persists again.
    1. You need to start the system and select windows media player.
    2. In the windows media player you need to click on organize menu and select option.
    3. You need to select Network tab and then click on streaming protocol button to open it. In the streaming protocol window you need to click UDP check box to disable it.
    4. After disabling UDP protocol you will not receive error message and window media player will play the streaming audio without any error.