Thread: How can I associate the picture files to Windows Live Photo Gallery viewer?

How can I associate the picture files to Windows Live Photo Gallery viewer?

I wanted to associate some picture file with the Windows Live Photo Gallery viewer as well as Windows Photo Viewer. But my problem is that in either of the case, I am not able to get the executable files. So I am leaving the question here so that someone can answer me that where are the name and the location for that file. Please reply soon. I am waiting for the replies. Thank you very much.

Re: How can I associate the picture files to Windows Live Photo Gallery viewer?

I would like to tell you that there is not any executable file for the Windows Photo Viewer. This is not the standalone application. It cannot be run as the application, it can be run with dllhost.exe. For Windows Live Photo Gallery also the information remains the same. If you want to get the dll for the photo viewer then it is there at C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll. Coming back to your question about opening attached picture, you can open those file with the help of Windows Photo Viewer and for that, you have to use open with and select the option for helper application.

If you want to get the path for any executable file then you can get it using the task manager.
    1. First, you should open the app for which you need the location of the executable file.
    2. Now right click on the taskbar and choose “Start Task Manager”.
    3. Right click on that application and select “Go to process”.
    4. After that right click on the .exe file and choose “Open File Location”.
    5. This will run the executable file of the application.

You can set the default associations. For resetting the default associations, you can try the steps below:
    1. First of all, Open control panel and choose view as Small icon.
    2. Now click on “Default Programs”.
    3. Then click “Set your default programs”.
    4. In left column, choose the program which you desire to modify.
    5. Now click on “Choose default for this program”. Ensure the extensions which you desire to relate as default files for this program.
    6. Finally click on save button.

I don’t know that why you are not able to open it with the Windows Live Photo Gallery viewer. When I downloaded and installed that then after a simple reboot the default for all the images files were set to the Windows Live Photo Gallery viewer. I think that there is some problem in the installation of that. You should download it again and install it. While installing, read the instructions carefully and if it has any option to set it is the default then select it and continue to installation.