Thread: Difference between dvr, wtv and wmv

Difference between dvr, wtv and wmv

I just want to know the different about the upper mentioned extensions. They all seem quite excellent but wmv take 1/4 the drive space as dvr-ms or wtv. So anyone have any suggestions regarding these extensions? Or anyone knows about these extensions? Any help regarding this extension will be appreciated deeply. So please help!!!

Re: Difference between dvr, wtv and wmv

These are the dissimilar file types that are supported by Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center on the computer.
    • Windows Media Video (.wmv)

Windows Media Video (.wmv) files are Advanced Systems Format (.asf) files which include audio, video, or both dense with Windows Media Audio (WMA) and Windows Media Video (WMV) codec’s. By means of a split extension, you can install multiple players on your computer and connect definite players with the .wmv extension for playback of audio and video sources.
    • Microsoft Digital Video Recording (.dvr-ms)

In Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition, Microsoft launched the .dvr-ms file format for amassing recorded TV content. Alike to .asf files, .dvr-ms file improvements permit key Personal Video Recorder (PVR) functionality, counting time-shifting, live pause, and concurrent record and playback. Video pervasive in a .dvr file is encoded as MPEG video stream, and the audio pervasive in the .dvr file is prearranged as MPEG-1 Layer II audio stream.
    • .WTV (Windows Recorded Television)

While a TV show is recorded in Windows Media Center, it is saved as a Windows Recorded TV Show file with the file name extension .wtv, in the Public Recorded TV folder regularly establish at C:\Users\Public. Previous versions of Windows utilized a dissimilar file format for recorded TV by means of the .dvr-ms extension.

I also have the same issue and Thanks for all that information, it was extremely helpful. Now can you tell me why Vista's dvr, while changed to wmv, is so much clearer than Windows 7's wtv converted to dvr-ms converted to wmv? It would appear that these codec’s are all density schemes, is not windows 7 by means of the similar codec’s? Are there any other codec’s existing for windows 7?

To accumulate drive space, I akin to to have all my videos at my finger tips, so I have nearly 5tb in drive space across the entire PC on my network. while I primary in progress using Windows XP, I establish a freeware DVR to WMV converter, and comparing the two pictures, WMV was as clear as DVR-MS and was 1/4 the file size, for each 45minutes of programming DVR=2.2g, WTV=2.6, WMV=556kb. But since after that, I have gone to a LCD in its place of CRT monitor, and went from AGP to PCI express, and went from 128 M BB video to 1 GB video, and Duel core CPU, and Vista and Windows 7, all having an upgrading in picture quality.