Thread: Is it true that Windows 7 Home Premium does not support dual-core CPUs

Is it true that Windows 7 Home Premium does not support dual-core CPUs

I was searching the internet and i came across a section of the media that claimed that the windows 7 home premium does not support the dual core processor. I was shocked reading this because many people across the world are using dual core as their processors and must also be having the windows 7 as their operating system. So is that true that windows 7 does not support the dual core processor. I was thinking of upgrading my processor from xp to windows 7. However after listening to such claims i am afraid. Anyone having proper knowledge regarding this topic may please explain.

Re: Is it true that Windows 7 Home Premium does not support dual-core CPUs

Let me tell you, that you may have not read the article properly the website may be claiming that the windows 7 home premium cannot support multiple processors. Windows 7 home premium can support single multi core processors but it cannot support multi core multi processors. Windows home edition have never designed such operating system that can support more than one operating system at one time. So i suppose it can be a mistake from your side reading the article. So do have a re-check of the contents written in that particular website.

Well if you are talking about the support of the windows for the multiple processor then let me tell you windows have designed professional edition and the business edition to support two cpu's with multi core processors. This means that you will be able to support two processors at one task. Following are the list of operating systems from windows that support multiple processors. Windows xp professional edition, Vista Business, Vista Enterprise, Vista Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate. However in your case it seems that you have not read the contents properly. Windows 7 home edition does support single multi core processors.

Well looking at your above solution i am more interested to know how can we connect two physical CPU to one operating system. As i have never heard of such operations before. Will it not give any complication issues in the CPU. Will it detect both the processors. Well i got a fair idea of the operating systems that support the multi processor's. If you are having any knowledge regarding the same then please do share it with me. It will be grateful from your side if you give me some valuable inputs.

Well, i can definitely help you. What you can do is to follow the instructions given below
    1) First you have to check whether your operating system supports the multi core processor. If it is, then only go ahead with it.
    2) Check whether the motherboard has that particular slots to support the multi processor. Some motherboard have it while some don't. So if the available slots are there then only go to the next step.
    3) Go to the control panel and select the system and the system properties. Select the hardware tab and then select the device manager button. You will get the processors list expand the list and check the properties such as the speed.
    4) Get another processor with the same speed and do the necessary updates of the bios in the motherboard.
    5) Add the particular processor to the available CPU slot in the motherboard.
    6) Apply some heat sink to the newly added processor to keep it cool and then close the case of the computer.
    7) Restart the computer
    8) When the computer restarts, it will automatically detect the processor and the installation is automatically done with the help of the windows plug and play.