Thread: Unable to Open .PPT file attachment in Windows Live Mail

Unable to Open .PPT file attachment in Windows Live Mail

Hello friends, I am using the Windows Live Mail with the Windows 7 64 bits. I currently got the mail that was having the.ppt attachment. When I opened it, it displays me the error message that I did not have a program associated with this file type. What I did is I saved this attachment to the desktop and then I changed the file extension to the.pps and was able to open the file. I then again renamed back to the .ppt extension to this attachment and I still receive the same error message saying I don't have a program associated with the file type. I am able to open the .pps file attachment within the Windows Live Mail. I uninstalled my power point viewer and downloaded the latest from Microsoft but it don't helped me out. please help

Re: Unable to Open .PPT file attachment in Windows Live Mail

This kind of problem occurs if the Open command is missing for the .PPT file type. To solve this problem for the .PPT files that is the Power point presentation, click on the Start Window and then execute the RUN window and type regedit.exe and then press ENTER. After that navigate following branch: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.Show.11 \ shell \ Show. After that right click on to the show option and then rename it. And enter the word “open” so that the show is being replaced by the Open command. If you have PowerPoint Viewer 2007 installed, repeat the above steps in this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.Show.12 \ shell \ Show. Same after changing the show name to open close the Registry Editor window. Hope this will help you around to work with the .PPT file type.

If you had saved this attachment on to the desktop then better right click on to it and select the open with option and find the Microsoft Power Point Viewer. Click on it and also check in to the check box to open this file in the MS power point viewer next time. If you want to open it then from the next time you may automatically open in the power point viewer. And then click OK to apply and open it. This has already worked for me.

First you make sure that you had installed the Power point is installed on to your system. To know whether it is installed on your system, click to the Start option and then in that click the Run menu. In that Run menu type powerpnt.exe and then press the Enter to execute the OK button. It will start the Power point if it is being installed on to your system. If it is being not installed on to the system you will get the error message that Windows Unable to find the Powerpnt.exe. also if PowerPoint is already being present on to your computer system then you have to properly associate the PowerPoint file name extensions with powerpnt.exe. if you had the power point then update it first