Thread: Program stealing focus in Windows 7

Program stealing focus in Windows 7

I am facing problem in windows 7 in which the application stealing focus I have not able to resolve the problem yet. I want to avoid any applications from stealing focus I tried to modify the mentioned Registry key to 0 then there was a key that exaggerated the number of flashes "want to steal focus" window would create in the taskbar.
    ForegroundLockTimeout
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    This registry key is actually no longer working for my system now. And I am really pissed off with focus stealing from canceling or pressing OK window that pop-up, to getting virus's from Internet Explorer windows. Application programs are still written to do this and it includes MS Office 2007. When I am typing an email something pop up and get the next key stroke. I am not able to find the solution for it, so please provide the solution by posting it on forum.
    Last edited by Ainsley; 01-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Re: Program stealing focus in Windows 7

You can perform some kind of steps to prevent your problem of application "stealing focus" in windows 7. For that you need to go to control panel there you have option ease of access in that you have ease of access center and craft mouse easier to use. Now you need to uncheck "Activate a window by suspended above it with the mouse". After you have done the settings now the windows will not go behind the central window or minimize directly. I think this you can easily perform to solve the stealing focus problem in your system.

You can use TweakUI which you can have from Microsoft official site for free. TweakUI application lets you alter several settings of the Windows UI that also includes settings for “Prevent applications from stealing focus”. You need to verify “Prevent applications from stealing focus” to avoid applications from stealing focus from the window you are currently working in. Instead the taskbar icon will explode to specify that the application is trying to get your notice. So you can look for the application afterwards and your problem will be resolved using the TweakUI application and performing the settings.

The other alternative which you have already done but still you were not able to solve the problem that might be because you have not performed the change in registry accurately. Following are the steps using which you will be able to do the Windows Registry change.
    1.Go to start and then move to Run.
    2.In the field enter regedit and press OK. After this the Registry Editor Program window will open.
    3.Now you need to find the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder under My Computer and then tick on the (+) sign that is present next the folder name to fully open it.
    4.Keep on searching still you find the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel registry key.
    5.Now choose the Desktop key below Control Panel.
    6.There on the right-hand side of the display screen, set and double-click on the ForegroundLockTimeout DWORD.
    7.Now in the Edit DWORD Value window that you are able to see put the Value data field to 30d40.
    8.Then press OK and then shut Registry Editor.
    9.Now you need to Reboot your computer so that change you have made take effect.
    10.After all steps are followed programs will no longer steal the focus from the window that you are using and working on.