Thread: Desktop shortcuts to items on network drives sometimes disappear from desktop

Desktop shortcuts to items on network drives sometimes disappear from desktop

I encompass a quantity of shortcut icons on my Windows 7 desktop on the way to networked stuff - several are folders on a NAS, a number of are mapped as drives, etc. on the other hand, on occasion Windows 7 appear on the way to just take away each and every one of them with no notice as well as I have to reconstruct all the shortcuts on the way to my NAS items once more.I doubt at first if this might have been for the reason that Windows would from time to time start previous to each and every one of my network devices turn out to be available, however at what time that occur it now properly marks the icons by means of a red cross on the way to point out that it could not discover them at start time, furthermore as soon as the NAS is accessible after that the shortcuts work well.On the other hand at random intervals, every one of seven of these shortcuts just vanish from the desktop. Every other shortcuts and icons are okay, as well as the mapped drives are at a standstill there in my 'Computer' display - it's now the NAS-related shortcuts on the desktop which disappear.Any thought why this may be happening?

Re: Desktop shortcuts to items on network drives sometimes disappear from desktop

If you make desktop shortcuts on the way to not fixed storage places such as NAS the icons will vanish on occasions for the reason that Windows 7 has a build in task plan on the way to clean up wrecked as well as unused links.
    On the way to avoid the task from running you are suppose to be disable the task in the task scheduler: To do this go to start/programs/accessories/system tools/task scheduler
    Enlarge the tree within the left hand window until you obtain to Task Scheduler Library->Microsoft->Windows->Diagnosis.
    In the right hand window, right click the task name Scheduled as well as click Disable. Hope this will help to get rid of your trouble. If you have any other doubt feel free to ask.

Re: Desktop shortcuts to items on network drives sometimes disappear from desktop

You require on the way to alter a setting on the way to resolve your problem. Let us attempt toward to follow the commands below which will assist you in determine the problem.

Method 1:
    1. Just Right-click Computer icon on desktop and after that selects Map Network Drive.
    2. Inside the Folder field, state the Web share location.
    3. Click on the way to choose the Reconnect at logon check box.
    4. Click Finish.

Method 2:

1. Go to Start/ settings and select Control Panel \ Personalize and after that select the link for “Change Desktop Icons” on the left-hand side window.
    2. At this moment you be able to choose the icons you desire back on the desktop by checking the box next to the name.
    3. Click the Apply button, as well as you be supposed to observe the icon show up on the desktop immediately.

Thank you for your suggestion. I am familiar with each and every one my networked drives are set to "Reconnect at Login", however I will make sure your other suggestion at what time I get house tonight. The planned drives themselves are forever there in the 'Computer' view; it is just the desktop shortcut icons which disappear.These troubles moreover happen if I place a shortcut straightforwardly on the way to a NAS address onto the desktop. At what time the network item icons disappear from the desktop, they every one do thus at one time. I have yet tried setting the shortcuts to Read-Only.This does not just occur at boot time, it be able to as well occur in the middle of a session - for instance this sunrise I had left the computer running for 15 minutes unattended, doubling some files onto the NAS, as well as at what time I came back all the desktop shortcut icons for the NAS had missing once more.