Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010

Access 2007 could not lock file and .mdb files opens read only

I have had an access 2000 .mdb shared on windows XP for last lots of years lacking any troubles. In recent times I upgraded to access 2007 installed on many equal new pc's running windows 7. The .mdb is swarmed on a shared folder one of the windows 7 computers not a full server. The database is a single file and not come apart into front end or back end. Every user has complete rights to both the shared folder and files. Every user can generate, edit and delete .txt files in the folder. Someday the whole thing works well. Others I have irregular troubles with the database moreover opening read only, or unable to opening at all with the message could not lock file. On a machine that was understanding the could not lock file trouble I ran sysinternals procedure monitor to get extra information on what was going on as the .mdb attempted to open.
Old 01-12-2010

Re: Access 2007 could not lock file and .mdb files opens read only

As my point of view this is really a good starting point will be to come apart the mdb or did you convert it to accdb? Place the BE in the shared folder or a network drive, and situate every user with a divide FE. If you motionless come across problems later than that, please I know. Because I am always ready to help anyone.
Old 01-12-2010

I have opening the database and will monitor the subsequently days if it resolves the trouble. I see in your mind's eye splitting makes the communications with data additional transactional and may get around the lock file trouble I am containing but I still be aware of there is a fundamental problem. This database was completely astounded hard on XP and access 2000 for years unplug or un-split with the similar users.
Old 01-12-2010

It just like ahead of sometimes though the connection is read only, even though currently it is harder to tell. While the database was a solitary .mdb it would infrequently release as read only and access would show a yellow bar below the toolbar notifying the user that it was read only. At the present that the database is split front end or back end, users can for all time open it, the switchboard is exhibit and the whole thing comes into view regular. While the failure takes place access does not exhibit the read only notice any longer. If users go to a form and attempt to edit or insert data they are informed in the status bar that the dataset is not updatable. Accessing the tables unswervingly with no form or question produces a read only notice.
Old 01-12-2010

While starting the front end.mdb Access responds: Could not make use of backend.mdb file previously in exercise. By clicking help obtains: Could not utilize <name>; file previously in exercise. (Error 3040). The particular file is at present being utilized by an additional user or session. Wait for the additional user or session to terminate working with the file, and after that attempt the operation another time. Attempted to appear at backend.ldb by means of notepad and received "access is denied ?error. I tried opening the frontend.mdb another time with Sysinternals Process Monitor running. While MS Access.exe tries to generate File on the back end.ldb the result is remove pending rebooting the front end machine and all works.
Old 01-12-2010

I had a few times before the similar trouble. I could resolve it by calling up the program with a batchfile. Call MS Access with the mdb file as parameter. This technique gives you one more huge advantage: In regular position you cannot install a fresh version of your program while one more user is working. If you call it by a batch file you can name your new program.mdb file as program_x.mdb and modify your batchfile to that. Each user who begins the program currently gets the fresh one even additional user are functioning with the old version.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , , ,