Thread: Outlook 2011 shows Error 17997 on Mac Pro after Setting up exchange account

Outlook 2011 shows Error 17997 on Mac Pro after Setting up exchange account

I have successfully installed office 2011 on Macbook pro which had been located in my office. There was nothing wrong during the installation and all went fine as I assumed. After that I tried to set up an account in Outlook for connecting company’s exchange server. I did it successfully inside the company firewall. Then made an automatic configuration and the connection is granted. Now from Exchange server I can create or compose a new email or message and also able to verify the receiver name to authenticate. But the issue is it is still not displaying the new account in the inbox section of the left navigation pane. Whenever I try to or attempt to send a new message it is showing me an error which seems to be like this "unexpected error occurs"-17997. I looked into my colleague’s computer and everything is fine and also working properly in their computers. Then, why this error in my Mac pro? Please help with this issue.

Re: Outlook 2011 shows Error 17997 on Mac Pro after Setting up exchange account

As I gone through your problem I found that the error must be something like this:
    Error: Unexpected data was encountered.
    Details: Mail could not be sent.
    Error code: 17997

When the error pop up appears on your screen you need to obtain a log file to solve that. Select Error log option from the windows menu and for outlook choose enable logging. This process will create a log file in the system desktop which you can then use for troubleshoot.

I think that it is some kind of pretty nonspecific error. I think to resolve this you will need to work on ports either it may be incoming or outgoing. Once I have the similar problem in my office mac computer and I resolved it by changing the Outgoing port. What I have done is I have just changed the SMTP server outgoing port to from the original or default 25 to different port. To find the alternative SMTP port you need to contact your ISP and ask for them for the availability of those ports and try them. I hope that this will really going to work for you.

What is the version of your office exchange server? Is it the 2003 or earlier? I don’t think that MS Outlook 2011 on MAC will be going work with MS Exchange 2003 or earlier. I recently found that MS Outlook 2011 make use of Exchange Web Services (EWS) that was not initiated in anticipation of Exchange 2007. So you might make sure to see which Exchange version your current email provider is using. This may also an explanation for why some Exchange 2007 users are capable to heal their setback after guaranteeing that they are not ingoing an alias for an email address.

As far as I know the Microsoft is conscious about that there's an issue with the outlook that blows users who have configured IMAP or POP accounts in coincidence with their Microsoft Exchange Server account. So you need to once again repeat the procedure by ensuring that there is no jump or mistakes in the configuration wizard. Try the different ports for forwarding the messages. You need to choose the ports manually for SMTP. You can get the port reference from your ISP.