Thread: Excel Error message: "External table is not in the expected format"

Excel Error message: "External table is not in the expected format"

Hello friends recently I have updated my Office to 2007 and it was working pretty well until yesterday when I found out that when I was loading the data from any external entity I was getting this error "External table is not in the expected format". This kind of problem is coming only after the updation as I was not getting that when I was using Office 2003. I was successful able to load the external data without any problem. So can any one help me to know why is this happening and what can be done to overcome this kind of problem.

Re: Excel Error message: "External table is not in the expected format"

Hey during the time of the installation of the Office 2007 have you selected the file association of that would be supported by this software. The file association decides what are all the files that would be imported using this software. I think that the data which you are trying to import from the external entity is not in the file association of the software. So first you have to select the file association to help you get the data bu reinstalling the software from the very beginning and then make sure that you select all the possible files that you want to get imported using this software. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Hey this is how I import data from the external source, and I dont have any problem in importing any data. Firstly you have to go under the Data menu and then select the "get external data". You will be given a list of source from where you want to get the data. Now click on the file which you want and then select open and you will be able to import the data of the files that you want in your excel sheet. You can try this and you will automatically be able to get whatever data you want.

Hey I am also using the same technique to get the data but the also I am getting this error "External table is not in the expected format". I have tried several different formats and then also I ma not able to get the data. The problem is that I don't have the setup copy of this software with me as I had taken it from a friend of mine who is currently out of town, so it would not be possible for me to install the software during this time. So can any help me get this problem solved without reinstalling the software.

Hey I would want to know that which kind of files are you looking to import, if it is a xls file then I don't think so that there could be any problem in importing the files, but if it is some other files then I guess you have to convert the files into xls, before directly importing to the Excel 2007. These converters are available for free and you can download this from the internet. Also, if some of the Office 2003 files are also not importing then you can use this converter to make the file supported by Office 2007.