Thread: Personal Storage Table or PST is not allowing to delete files

Personal Storage Table or PST is not allowing to delete files

My desktop PC which is located in my work place has the following things: Windows XP Home Edition, 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 build 2600, office outlook Service Pack 2. I mostly prefer Outlook for managing email operations. I assume that you might have heard about PST or Personal storage Table in outlook 2010. It is a format to store copies messages, events, etc. Now my problem is that that the PST has a maximum size limit. Once it reaches to its limit means when the storage capacity get full it will prompt us to delete some unwanted files to clear up the space. But in my computer it will not allow me to do this. So what can I do to get some space from PST? Should I have to wait further longer? Will it allow me to delete once it get completely full? Please help on this issue. I will be very thankful to you.

Re: Personal Storage Table or PST is allowing to delete files

Can you tell me what version of outlook created this PST file or.pst file? What is its current size? I know that the 2GB is the limited size for Microsoft Outlook Personal folders .pst files and offline folders .ost files. If any new item has increase size over than limit then you will no longer be able to use those files. By chance if you delete items from the server mailbox, the synchronization is not possible on .ost files. Since from the Outlook 2003, bigger .pst files are supported. You need to make sure that once you have upgraded from older version to newer version of outlook, you must create a new PST. The automatic upgrade or conversion is not possible in this situation. The process is also called as conversion of old PST to Unicode PST. If the PST doesn’t allow you to delete files then you must repair it using appropriate tools.

In which version of outlook the .pst file was created? Is the 2002 or backwards? If yes, then you need to create new PST or .pst file in current version of outlook. Once you have created the new PST file set it as default for your outlook. After that you can easily import the old PST to a newly created one. If don’t have any idea about PST or managing PST files then refer this useful link. This link reference is only belonging to the use of .pst files n Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003, and Outlook 2002. If you are using other email programs or client then this guide is not valid for you.

I think it is not really necessary to delete the files from PST if have created the PST file using Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010. In these versions you can increase the size or capacity of the PST file. For this procedure you can follow this link which has useful information.The Outlook 2003 and later versions supports the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and UNICODE personal folders (.pst) and offline folder (.ost) files. In order to limit or raise the size of those files you need to work on some registry entries.

You are telling that you are enabling to delete the files from PST. But as far as I know there is no such way or a built-in way to delete or reduce a PST files that gone over limit. For this you use a tool called PST2GB which allows you to restore the file to operability. This utility shortens the data from between 25MB and 50MB and another thing is the truncated data is not recoverable at all. The left over data beneath 2GB ought to be re-established. If you are thinking about repairing the pst file by yourself then download a tool called hex editor for editing the data in those file directly.

Re: Personal Storage Table or PST is not allowing to delete files

I think the current versions of outlook supports the larger PST than 2 GB. So if you have recently updated to 2003 or later version then I will suggest you to create or setup a new archive PST file which must be in the Unicode format. This file or archive will allow you more size or expansion than the current limit. It may be either the unlimited size or greater than 2GB. The setup of size or limit is depends on you. Usually the .pst file is located in C:\Documents and settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst