Thread: ms word shows an error " can start the converter" when opened in 2010

ms word shows an error " can start the converter" when opened in 2010

I have go a desktop system I work in a software company as a data base manager and I have been assigned a task to collect all the data from back ten years by the data base administrator, and form an archive and he wants all those data in a unique format. I have data of past fifteen years and the data before ten years is in 1997 word format, whenever I attempt to convert those word an error message prompts up that says " word cannot start converter" . It is really driving me nuts , does any body have any idea how to work on this converter ? PS I have windows 7 operating system and Microsoft Office 2010 pro edition installed.

Re: ms word shows an error " can start the converter" when opened in 2010

It is really a tedious task to collect the data from different sources and store it in a single location and that too in a similar format. But that is what you data base people work about. You can do that easily using the data warehousing , you can create different blocks on the basis of their years and later on query the data on the based of different year. Did you install and try different converters, if not please try that first. If you have the setup file of 1version of 1997 Office and that data is very critical to you you can uninstall the current version of office for a while and install the previous one.

I think you have a .doc as extension and you are attempting to open it as .docx format, but for the editor the content stored in .docx is not a actual content but it is as a plain text when opened in the MS Word. While attempting to open it you Will see the Word cannot start the converter mswrd632, it will appear at least two to three times that means you have an unregistered converter with you , this unregistered converter can convert the .doc into .docx and you will not get this error again.

You did not mention it completely, once you get the error you will see the the option fix it, it can be fixed automatically or manually. You will better click on fix it automatically , after clicking I think your error will be resolved . You can also fix it manually,clicking on start , then in the run box you have to type regedit and disable using the Hlocal key. Now whenever you create any file you can save it in both version 2010 and 2003 or older versions.