Thread: Error Messages: Excel cannot complete this task with the available resources

Error Messages: Excel cannot complete this task with the available resources

I am generating an excel document that is fetching data from an Excel Pivot Table. While trying to copy a tab over I have got several error messages. The tab which I am attempting to copy over has 4700 rows and 120 columns. I have attempted doing it by right clicking on the tab and copy over which is not working. Even I have tried to copy paste the data manually which didn’t worked as well. Here I have given the error messages which I have got while doing this task.
    1. Excel cannot complete this task with the available resources. Choose less data or close other applications.
    2. Excel cannot complete this task with the available resources. Choose less data or close other applications. Continue without Undo?
    3. An unexpected error has occurred. AutoRecover has been disabled for this session of Excel.
    4. Not enough system resources to display completely.
    5. The operation you are about to perform affects a large number of cells and may take a significant amount of time to complete. Are you sure you want to continue? Note: This operation will be performed automatically in 60 seconds if no response is received.

Initially I have tried doing this on the MS Excel 2007 which has been installed on my Windows XP machine having an Intel Core 2 duo. It didn't worked, Then I have tried the same with the Windows 7 as well but not worked.

Re: Error Messages: Excel cannot complete this task with the available resources

I suggest you to try copying the data manually but not all at the same time. It seems like the data which you are trying to copy over from the worksheet to another might be too large due to which it might happen that continuing the task might result in the loss of data. But I think it would be possible to copy paste the same data in the three steps. I suggest you to copy first 1/3 of your data and then paste it. Then do the same with the other two remaining parts of data. It should working according to me.

Re: Error Messages: Excel cannot complete this task with the available resources

When you try to save a Microsoft Excel workbook, set or remove a name or use a defined name in a formula, the following error message may appear:
    "Excel can not complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications."
    This problem can occur if you define names that indirectly refer to other names nested located more than 20 levels below. When you add a name or use beyond this level of indirection, you receive this error message. You also get when you delete a name referenced by more than 20 levels of defined names.

A level of indirection in defined names is created when a name refers to another name or a cell reference. where each row represents a level of indirection, and you try to use a name beyond the twentieth level of indirection, you receive the error message mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.
    If you define the following names in a workbook called Book1

Name Reference Level of indirection
    -------------------------------------------------- ---------
    • Test1 = Sheet1! $ A $ 1 1
    • Test2 = Book1! Test1 2
    • Test3 = Book1! Test2 3
    • Test4 = Book1! 4 Test3
    • Test5 = Book1! Test4 5
    • Test6 = Book1! Test5 6
    • Test7 = Book1! Test6 7
    • Test8 = Book1! Test7 8
    • Test9 = Book1! Test8 9
    • Test10 = Book1! Test9 10
    • Test11 = Book1! Test10 11
    • Test12 = Book1! Test11 12
    • TEST13 = Book1! Test12 13
    • Test14 = Book1! TEST13 14
    • Test15 = Book1! Test14 15
    • Test16 = Book1! Test15 16
    • Test17 = Book1! Test16 17
    • Test18 = Book1! Test17 18
    • Test19 = Book1! Test18 19
    • Test20 = Book1! Test19 20 (the limit)
    • Test21 = Book1! Test20 21

You can also receive this error message if you try to delete a name that lower levels of indirection are too many. For example, if you try to delete the name "Test1", you may receive the error message because the name "Test21" is more than 20 levels of indirection.

I have a problem with excel in Win7, the message "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources ..." My file is 3410Ko, I have 4 GB of memory but 3.5 second flight, I increase the virtual memory to max and still have the same problem. I have read that some had 8 GB of memory but I have only 2 connectors on my card and I did find several sites for more than 2 strips where it was claiming of the bars more than 2 GB.

It is obvious that there would be some limit which restrict you from copying the number of data or a size of data from your one excel worksheet to the another one. So it would be better to divide your data into the pieces and then try to copy them one by one which must not show any such problem. And this solution seems to be the simplest one to copy the data. It won't be taking much time as well as you won't be getting any error as well while copying the small amount of data. It is faster and simpler so you must not search for any other simpler solution according to me.

I think 4700 rows and 120 columns should not be considered as a big data to copy from the end of MS Excel. I think you should try clearing the temp files on your computer which might show any effect for this task. Go to the Start button and then click on the Run. Here you have to write %temp% and then press Enter. Now Select All and then press Shift+Delete. Now check copying the same data.